Transferring cell values across sheets (based on entered values in another column)

rice_

Hi all

I think this question has probably been asked before, but I'm clearly not fantastic at transferring from one example to mine...

Basically, I have an Excel sheet with 7 sheets (we'll go with A, B, C, D, E, F and G). With the exception of Sheet G, all are set up exactly the same.

In Column E of each sheet is a reference code (eg: 9/3). At present, I manually enter the corresponding value into the cells in Column H, but they do occasionally change (this, of course, would mean that I have to manually update every cell that has that reference code). I wonder if it would be possible to enter these corresponding values into cells on Sheet G (unused at present) and use a code on each spreadsheet to automatically update these values.

In an ideal world, if I changed the cell in Sheet G, it would automatically update all instances of that value in Sheets A-F (in Column H).

The other thing is that there are approximately 27 different options for codes. If I could maintain these in a table on Sheet G and just update this, it would make my life so much easier. Sometimes the values in Column E themselves will change too, so it would be fantastic to refer them to all possible codes.

I got as far as thinking that it would be an =IF start, but then I thought I'd better check with the experts.

In my mind, in Sheet G, I would allow for a heading to the table (across A1, B1) and a column visually defining the values (Column A), but would put the values from B2 down to B29.

I hope this doesn't complicate it any further, but...
If, for example, I entered "A/1" in Sheet B E25, is it possible to enter a formula that would mean that the value of Sheet G B2 would appear in Sheet B G25? Or "B/3" in Sheet F E99, to get Sheet G B8 to appear in Sheet F H99?

Any advice? :)

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnfromHGT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back