Trouble Calculating Weighted Averages based off of Subtotals

adienni

Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, with Excel 2010 and the Powerpivot plugin. I'm new to Powerpivot and I feel like I'm really close to getting it to do what I want but I can't seem to figure out the last step. I have a dataset roughly 50k lines long formatted like this.

AccountDays Past DueAmount
A-22000
A-14000
A155200
B12400
B14102
C10485
C211039
C101394
D4583

<tbody>
</tbody>

Each line is representative of one paid invoice. What I'm trying to do is create a weighted average of the "Days Past Due" column for each individual account.

Currently the way I do this (one account at a time) is subtotal the "Amount" column.
Then divide each individual invoice for an account by the subtotal for that account (giving me the weighting I want to use).
I then multiply this weighting by each individual "Days Past Due" entry (in a helper column), and finally take the sum of that column.
This gives me the weighted days past due for an individual customer.

Now I want to do this for every customer in our database at once.

I've been able to have the pivot table generate this weighting for me using the "Show values as a % of parent Row" option. However I am not able to create a measure that multiplies the "Days past due" by this implicit value.

I suppose what I'm looking for is how do I create a measure that will divide an individual invoice's amount by the subtotal for that account?

I've been trying to use this guide (Weighted Averages: Another Use of SUMX() « PowerPivotPro) but I seem to be missing something.

Apologies if I've been unclear. If necessary I can upload a dataset to better demonstrate what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sousanna Aristiadou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back