Troubleshooting Locked Cell Behavior / Tearing my hair out in frustration

NickHosford

Hello all! I've been a lurker for quite some time now and have always gotten great help and advice here, but I have not been able to solve this issue in my usual way.

I have a form where a user enters information into 2 cells, make a selection from a list box, and then clicks a button to populate a record on a table. This works well, but my issue is that I don't want the user to be able to change the information in the first two cells for the rest of the session (they populate the rest of the table by selecting different items from the list box and clicking the button each time) as this will make the table's calculations inaccurate.

I have tried using "Range().Locked = True", Selecting the range first and then using "Selection.Locked = True", and even a private sub that checks the Range for updates and then locks it; but for some reason I can still edit the data in those two fields after I lock them! I can't edit the data in any of the other cells on the sheet (which is as it should be) but for some reason these two cells refuse to behave!

Here is my code for the button to add the record (wherein I attempt to lock the offending cells):

If ActiveSheet.Range("O4").Value < 11 Then
Dim ChargeRow As Integer
ChargeRow = Range("O4").Value

'debugging
MsgBox Range("B7:B8").Locked

'Lock entry fields
Sheets("X-ray Calculator").Unprotect Password:="lockdown"
Range("B7:B8").Select
Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
Selection.Locked = True

'debugging
MsgBox Range("B7:B8").Locked

'Insert Charge Name
Range("A" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Select
ActiveCell.Value = Sheets("X-ray search").Range("J" & (Range("O3").Value + 2))

'If deductible is not met, total charge goes to hospital, otherwise split with clinic

If Range("B" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Value > 0 Then
If Range("B" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Value > Sheets("X-ray search").Range("N" & Range("O3").Value + 2) Then
Range("C" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Select
ActiveCell.Value = Sheets("X-ray search").Range("N" & (Range("O3").Value + 2))
Else
ActiveCell.Value = Range("B" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Value + ((Sheets("X-ray search").Range("N" & (Range("O3").Value + 2)) - Range("B" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Value) * (Range("B7").Value / 100))
End If
Else
ActiveCell.Value = Sheets("X-ray search").Range("L" & (Range("O3").Value + 2)) * (Range("B7").Value / 100)
Range("D" & (ChargeRow + 19)).Select
ActiveCell.Value = Sheets("X-ray search").Range("M" & (Range("O3").Value + 2)) * (Range("B7").Value / 100)
End If

'Increment the Charge Row
Range("O4").Value = ChargeRow + 1

Sheets("X-ray Calculator").Protect Password:="lockdown", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
End If

End Sub

The final straw was when the message boxes I put in for debugging purposes told me the cells were correctly locked, yet I could still edit them.

Please help!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Sorry, everyone... I figured it out.

Apparently the "Allow users to edit Range" feature of excel overrides the Locked status of a cell.

^_^;;

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back