Trying to insert formulas if & only if Value is not 0

Jaybird

Hi everyone,

This is a recurring problem that's been bugging me for a while (well, 1.5 problems). I have a list of about 200 values that vary from anywhere from 1-15 entries per value. To clarify let's say it looks like this:

1) Problem 1: Assume you have this dataset:

A 3
A 2
A 6
B 1
C 9
C 11
C 4
D 8
etc.

Now I'm trying to create separate worksheets for each of these, where it would show:

A 3
A 2
A 6

on one, then afterwards

B 1

on the other etc.

I have been using vlookup tables, but the problem is since I don't know how many formulas I use per page, I always end up with a string of 0s afterwards. So the data ends up looking like:

A 3
A 2
A 6
0 0
0 0
0 0

and

B 1
0 0
0 0

etc.

Having to manually fill-down the exact amount of entries on each one is out of the question because I have hundreds of entries for each and this needs to be done every week. Since this is a recurring, random data-set though, I have to include the maximum amount of =vlookup formulas to make sure they're all included in the separate reports.

Anyone know how I can make it so the values are included If and only if they do not equal 0, otherwise it's a blank space?

(Problem 2) From the raw data, i want to create a final set of the sum of each of these, without any space in between. so for example:

A 2
A 1
A 9
C 1
F 2
etc.

So notice there is no B, D or E. However since I'm using lookup tables, I end up with this Summary Chart:

A 12
B 0
C 1
D 0
E 0
F 2

It looks very sloppy with all of those empty 0s. Any way I can clean it up and make it so that only the letters with actual values appear, without any spaces in between?:

A 12
C 1
F 2

Thanks so much in advance!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back