Trying to link tables (is it possible?)

Groves22

Hey there...

I have 4 tables and I want to link them all together for a final pivot table/chart. All of the tables have the same identifier, but a couple have an extra branch to link. I work for an insurance company so this had policy numbers and unit numbers (if the policy has more than one vehicle).

All 4 tables have the field "Policy #". 3 have "Unit #". One table is just policy level attributes so it does not include the Unit # (to avoid duplicates). Is there a way to link all these up and have the end premium in a pivot table? When I only include policy level info, no problems... it's when I join in unit level items.

I'll include quick table examples (hope it helps):

COV TABLE
Pol #
Unit #
Coverage
Limit
BI
100/300
PD
COL
BI
100/300
PD
COL
BI
50/100

<tbody>
</tbody>

POL ATTRIBUTES
Pol #
Pay Type
Prior BI
Multi Policy
Multi Car
EFT
100/300
Y
Y
PIF
50/100
Y
N

<tbody>
</tbody>

UNIT ATTRIBUTES
Pol #
Unit #
Model Age
Use
An Mile
WL
WH
PL

<tbody>
</tbody>

PREMIUM
Policy #
Unit #
Comp 1
Comp 2
Comp 3

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi,
Have you tried to create one using Powerpivot?
Tried just for fun and was able to link all your tables to your POL ATTRIBUTES table.
Maybe someone more experienced like scottsen will pitch in...
You may as well have a look at this site, might be helpful: link here.

Upvote 0
Yes... This was with PowerPivot. The premiums never seemed to sum or average correctly once unit level attributes were included.

Upvote 0
How did you connect your tables? Created a unique identifier by concatenating Pol# and Unit#?

Problems could occur when you create a report that combines data from CovTable (n-side) and premium (1-side, lookuptable) - when you take the premium (comp 1-comp3) into the value section: This is basically the wrong way around. So if you want to analyse the premium amounts, you cannot take the elememts from CovTable in your report (think of the total sum: As the premium lines would be multiplied for each coverage type - what would the meaning of the grand total in that report actually be?)

The other lookup-table (just Pol) shouldn't be a problem here.

Imke

Upvote 0
OK, might got your question now :)

Create a star scheme for each of your fact-tables: cov table and premium, by relating each of them to unit attributes by your key (which is fine) and to the pol attributes by pol#.

Assuming that your unit attributes has only row per item, you don't need to keep your linking table.

You need to correct your key in your Unit attr table - they are not unique (but could be - just adjust according to how you did in premiums)!

Imke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJFabEngineering

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back