Turn off Autosave file creation?

clmish

A newly created network directory has some kind of autosave function turned on which makes files with names similar to 4C8AE9A0 (no file extension). They do not seem to be the product of Tools Options Save Autosave, since I have this defaulted to 10 minutes and the files are not created every 10 minutes. Neither does this phenomenon occur with other files in any of my other directories.

Can one of you gurus explain what is happening and how to stop it? The network administrator does not recognize it at first and asked me to turn of "hide extensions of known file types" in the Windows Explorer Tools Folder Options View tab. When I unchecked this box, it made no difference. Double-clicking one of these weird files opens a copy of one of the normal Excel files, just from an earlier time.

The directory is already backed up automatically and we don't need (or want) this feature to clutter up the directory.

Help is appreciated,
Clmish

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I suspect windows search desktop indexing. Perhaps you could shut off indexing of your drive and see if it makes a difference, or try disabling the service altogether.

Upvote 0
Thanks, hadn't thought of that. The thing that's weird is that the Windows Desktop Search seems confined to my Desktop, not network locations, so I wonder it could write to these very controlled environments. I'll try turning it off. It's not as much use as it could be, since I do most of my work on the network.
Clmish

Upvote 0
Let me know how the experiment turns out - I believe I also had only local indexing and still the same problems! Since I've turned it off no issues. Of course, it's only a guess.

Upvote 0
Right on. We'll see when I start back at it. Unfortunately, the permissions on that network drive aren't correct for me to be able to delete the temp files yet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattstan2012

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back