UK Psotcode Map in Excel

DanD

Board Regular
I'm trying to create a very simple postcode area map, (AB,DG,G) in excel and then colour the areas based on data in a simple table. The work involved doesn't seem great but what I'm struggling with is finding a map of the UK which I can import into excel and then have each part recognized as a different object, because I think this is probably the easiest way of doing this.

Anyone got any suggestions or an alternative way?

Thanks

Dan

I'm hoping to find a map where the areas are different objects, for eaxmple AB would be object 1 and DD object 2 and so on. The reason for this is I'd like to then recolour the map dependant on some data.

To add to my frustration, I thought this would be very easy to find, I've found exactly what I want of France, and not the UK

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...bm=isch&prmd=ivnsfd&ei=vGCcTaaSBo2YhQfzkJzIBg

Thanks for the help so far folks

Cheers

Dan

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Dan

I think you might need to just bite the bullet and create each object yourself.

With a a half-decent graphics package that shouldn't be too hard actually.

If each area is a different colour than the ones around it you should be able to select it by colour and cut/copy it out on it's own.

Upvote 0
Thats probably going to be the easiest way forward, was hoping I could find a way of doing at work, where the only graphics package I have is MS paint, as sopposed to doing it at home.

Upvote 0
Dan

Just imagine the fun you can have trying to catch all those awkward little corners.:)

Upvote 0
If you don't need the drawn objects to be the same shape as the geographical postcode area, and are willing to use a map made of equal sized blocks, one for each postcode, then look at this
[shameless plug for my own website]
http://www.motorwaymap.co.uk/new/block.htm
[/shameless plug for my own website]

Moderators, if this is not allowed, please delete this post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheTeaTiger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back