Unable to get the row number to change in the formula for conditional formatting, when copying the formatting down the column

TParko

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am using the following formula =ISBLANK(Sheet1!$C2) to change the color of a cell when the cell reference 'is blank' on another sheet within my workbook.

When I copy the formatting down the column, the row number is not changing. I have tried the following versions of my cell reference $C$2, $C2 and C2, all with no success.

I'm hoping to avoid having to amend the formula for the conditional formatting for each row separately as my spreadsheet has 100 rows!

Please help :)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi Dear,

Instead of formatting based on a formula, please use the select "Format only Cells that contant" --> from the drop list choose "Blanks" and change the format accpordingly.

1598856771062.png

Regards

Upvote 0
Instead of formatting based on a formula, please use the select "Format only Cells that contant" --> from the drop list choose "Blanks" and change the format accpordingly.
I think you may have missed that the OP is trying to format cells on one sheet based on what is in another sheet, not what is in its own cells.
change the color of a cell when the cell reference 'is blank' on another sheet

@TParko
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

When you are looking at Conditional Formatting rules the dialog always shows you what the rule is for the first cell in the range, not the one you may have selected. Example here I have selected A6 but the CF dialog is showing me the row 2 formula since that is where I started my CF

1598858075343.png

So your formula probably is adjusting behind the scenes for the correct row. If it is not working as you expect, could it be that the cells in column C of Sheet1 contain formulas returning "" since ISBLANK will return FALSE for those cells.

Perhaps you could try this CF instead

TParko 1.xlsm
A
Sheet2
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A2:A13Expression=Sheet1!$C2=""textNO

Here are my two sheets side-by-side. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

1598858370743.png

Note though that if you are trying to match the rows on each sheet, this would fail if rows are added/deleted on one sheet but not the other. If that could be the case, another approach would be needed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back