Undo Won't Work

tlc53

Hi there,
The spreadsheet I am working on contains more than 50 sheets and has various VBA code.
I noticed recently that Undo has stopped working and I'm not sure why. Possibly it has something to do with a VBA code, but I wouldn't know where to start. It was running fine for a long time.
For example, if I entered text in a cell and enter, Undo is not option.
Any idea why this is happening and how I can prevent it?
Thanks!

When I'm entering data into a cell, I can see that the Undo feature is available. As soon as I enter or move to a different cell, it greys out again.
I will work on version of the workbook for uploading purposes. Thank you!
Undo is not available in a blank cell, it requires data to be typed or copied into a cell for the Undo to be available. If the symbol is there on the quick access tool bar or on the ribbon, then it should go from grey out to blue when you put data in the active cell. If that is happening then it is doing the normal thing. Undo and Redo only apply to the active cell.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Yeah, we appreciate all the help we can get...Rain foecast for tomorrow, so that should eliminate a few of the fires !!
The fires have basically burned more country than the total area of South Korea....and 50% more than the Amazon fires !!

Upvote 0
Yeah, we appreciate all the help we can get...Rain foecast for tomorrow, so that should eliminate a few of the fires !!
The fires have basically burned more country than the total area of South Korea....and 50% more than the Amazon fires !!
I know it's bad, that is why I was wondering if your were on fire watch in your area. Lots of homes and other structures lost according to the news here.

Regarding Post #15, that looks like normal behavior for the Undo and Redo, but the OP has not responded to my post so don't know if the condition I explained in #21 is what he is experiencing for sure.

Upvote 0
3300 buildings lost so far....I guess, on the up side, our tradies are going to busy for a couple of years !!!
We don't have any problems in our area(yet), and being an old Bast$#d means they probably dont need me.

Upvote 0
3300 buildings lost so far....I guess, on the up side, our tradies are going to busy for a couple of years !!!
It's like the hurricanes here in Florida, lots of damage but it puts people to work with very little loss of life. Although, any loss of life is regrettable, there is some good that comes from disaster. We need to realize that there are silver linings to our woes, evem if it is painful to reach them.

Upvote 0
@tlc53
I can understand your concern about modifying the registry, but you can back it up first !!
Having said that though, if you have reinstalled Excel, the registry should be set to 16 anyways.
Hi Michael. So I've made some advancements with my Undo problem. It's not Excel. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, contacted Microsoft, ran a repair and Undo works fine, as long as the file I'm working on is not open. If I have that file open and I open a Blank workbook, Undo will not work. So it's something to do with one of my formulas. Did anything look conspicuous to you in the VBA coding I sent on post #11? I know you can't see all the code straight off but if you push the copy icon, it's all there. Thanks

Upvote 0
Well, after looking at your code (again), without the workbook to test it with, I'd suggest it MUST be one of the many Worksheet_change events(which could be triggered when a formula recalcs), but I would have thought they wouldn't affect the workbook if they were ALL disabled.

Upvote 0
I was just reading a discussion on another post and it made sense to me. If you perform an entry or other edit that would normally be undoable but you have event macros that run as a result of doing the edits, then the Undo feature will not be available because the macro wiped out the cache for the undo event. So with all the change events loaded into your workbook, it is likely that any edits will trigger one or more macros and wipe the undo cache. Have you tried disabling the event trigger and then doing an edit and see if it allows you to undo?

@Michael M - I think you were already onto this. It seems the logical answer.

Upvote 0
@Michael M - Do you mean in Excel or in Post #11? It looks like the OP has a Change event on each sheet and I suspect that is the problem since the change event runs for any change, although it may not execute any changes to the worksheet via the code, it could trigger volatile formulas and effectively wipe the temp cache for the undo feature. I have not tried to map this out technically, because I don't have a lot of info on how the VBA underlying app works. But it seems to be a logical process that would occur.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sampak88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back