Unexpected results of FLOOR function with time values

Kobko

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a difficulties using the FLOOR function with time values. It mostly works, however if the first parameter is calculated, results are not always as expected.
Example:
When I round down a value "10:00" using a formula =FLOOR("10:00"-TIME(9;30;0); "0:30"), the result is "0:30" as expected. However, if I use =FLOOR("8:00"-TIME(7;30;0); "0:30"), the result is "0:00", which is not correct. I found out that it helps to change the formula to =FLOOR("8:00"; "0:30")-TIME(7;30;0), however I don't understand what is wrong with the first option. Has anybody an idea?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi
Instead of FLOOR use ROUND.MULTIPLE
Example: =ROUND.MULTIPLE("08:00"-TIME(7;30;0);"0:30")

Hi,
Mario

Upvote 0
Hi Marius44,

I think you mean MROUND function. The function is not usefull for me as I need the time to be always rounded down to nearest 30 minutes. For example if the time is 7:50, after a subtraction of 7:30 I need the result to be 0:00 (which is 0:20 rounded down to nearest 0:30).
Except of it, I would like to understand why the FLOOR function does not work as expected sometimes.

Roman

Upvote 0
I would like to understand why the FLOOR function does not work as expected sometimes.
Hi, the problem is almost certainly caused by "floating point rounding errors" (an internet search will reveal lots of information on the subject) - the TIME() function appears to round these errors better so you could jump through a few hoops like this to get to the right answer.

Excel Formula:
=FLOOR(LET(t,TIME(8,0,0)-"07:30",TIME(HOUR(t),MINUTE(t),SECOND(t))),"00:30")

Upvote 0
You could also use the numeric representation of '00:30' which is: 0.020833

Excel Formula:
=FLOOR("8:00"-TIME(7,30,0), 0.020833)

This is also working around the floating point issue from what i understand.

Upvote 0
You could also use the numeric representation of '00:30' which is: 0.020833

It didn't occur to me that the rounding error could be in the significance argument. This also appears to resolve the problem.

Excel Formula:
=FLOOR("8:00"-TIME(7,30,0),ROUND("00:30",13))

Or
Excel Formula:
=FLOOR("8:00"-TIME(7,30,0),TIME(0,0,30))

Or to be even more robust
Excel Formula:
=FLOOR(ROUND(TIME(8,0,0),13)-ROUND(TIME(7,30,0),13),ROUND(TIME(0,30,0),13))

Upvote 0
@Georgiboy, @FormR Thank you for your hints. I spent some time playing with your suggestions. I understand, that rounding numbers can cause that some formulas work while the others do not work as expected. But therefore I don't understand why explicit rounding solves my issue.
A numerical representation of TIME(0;30;0) is 0,020833 (a periodic number). If I round the number, for example ROUND(TIME(0;30;0);13), the result will be less precise than the original representation. I think that using as much precise representation as possible in calculations should be the best. I would understand why some calculations do not work with rounded numbers, but not with more precise numbers. Am I missing something here?

@FormR Why you round the numbers to 13 digits? Is it just an experimentally determined value or it has any reason?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back