Ungrouping just part of a group in a pivot table

benjtp

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have grouped hundreds of items into different groups based on different parameters. For example all products that have to do with paper, all ones that have to do with pens etc.
I therefore have product group and product group 2.
However, I need to remove one of them to essentially make it a separate group.
The only way I have managed to do so is to start over by ungrouping everything. Redoing it will take me hours. There must be a better solution than that.
Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I think you'd be better off with a lookup table and an additional column in the source data. I pretty much never manually group items in pivot tables because it's a pain to maintain.

Upvote 0
Thanks,
Do you have any instructions on how to do that. I have more than 1000 items and writing a long vlookup feels like I'm going to make a big file too big to load.

Upvote 0
You just need a two column table somewhere with the product group in the first column and the parent group in the second column. Then it's a simple =vlookup(product group, product group table range, 2, false) or, if you can sort the lookup table and be sure that all the groups are in there, you can use the faster form =vlookup(product group, product group table range, 2)

Upvote 0
If you're working in 365 rather than 2003, you can also use Power Query.

Upvote 0
maybe, but don't i still have to make an enormous vlookup covering each and every product?

Upvote 0
I don't know what you mean by "an enormous vlookup". You need every item to appear in your lookup table, yes.

Upvote 0
I don't know what you mean by "an enormous vlookup". You need every item to appear in your lookup table, yes.
What I mean is that the vlookup with have to contain multiple lines ie. if this then this 1000 times. Does that sound correct to you?
Thanks

Upvote 0
The VLOOKUP formula will be basically what I posted earlier. Not long or complicated.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks
But to my original question, is it possible without a vlookup?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BakerSteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back