unique values from multiple columns in different worksheets

chartmunger

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi -- I need some help with a problem.

Each tab (sheet) is a survey, and I need to create a summary tab that automatically combines user inputs:
  • Users (my colleagues) will fill out a bunch of random names under each column
  • The title on Row 1 of each tab is fixed & the same
  • The names below are the user inputs: there will be duplicates among the users within the same column (e.g. Mark's input under "Amazon" might have overlaps with Tim's input on his own tab), and I need to remove the duplicates for same columns only (in case there are 2 "John Doe30" under Facebook and Google)
Ideally, the result would be a summary tab combining all user inputs under same columns, also removing any duplicates

Other information:
  • # of columns: <=20, but we might add or remove columns in the future
  • # of rows (inputs): <=20
  • # of sheets: <=20
  • This sheet is a tool that we will update (asking for new user inputs) from time to time, so we want automation
Example sheet for one user (each sheet will have the exact same headers):

Untitled.png

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Change the "Summary" in the macro to the name of your sheet with the summary, on this line: Set sh1 = Sheets("Summary")
Also update in the macro, on this line: Case sh1.Name, "Sheet1", "Sheet2", "etc" , if you have sheets that you don't want to be considered.

Run this macro:
VBA Code:
Sub UniqueValuesFromMultipleColumns()
  Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet
  Dim i As Long, j As Long
  Dim f As Range

Set sh1 = Sheets("Summary")   'Summary sheet name
  sh1.Rows("2:" & Rows.Count).ClearContents

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
  For Each sh In Sheets
    Select Case sh.Name
      Case sh1.Name, "Sheet1", "Sheet2", "etc"    'Sheet names to exclude from review.
      Case Else
        For j = 1 To sh.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(1).Column
          For i = 2 To sh.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(3).Row
            Set f = sh1.Columns(j).Find(sh.Cells(i, j).Value, , xlValues, xlWhole, , , False)
            If f Is Nothing Then
              sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(3)(2).Value = sh.Cells(i, j).Value
            End If
          Next
        Next
    End Select
  Next
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (UniqueValuesFromMultipleColumns) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. If you will need to do this again in this same workbook, and if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "Yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.
----------------------------------

NOTE XL2BB:
For the future, it would help greatly if you could give us the sample data in a form that we can copy to test with, rather that a picture.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in
Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

For example:
Dante Amor
ABC
1AmazonGoogleFace
2John Doe1John Doe12John Doe31
3John Doe2John Doe13John Doe32
4John Doe3John Doe14John Doe33
5John Doe4John Doe15John Doe34
6John Doe5John Doe16John Doe35
7John Doe6John Doe17John Doe36
8John Doe7John Doe18John Doe37
9John Doe19
10John Doe20
Summary

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Change the "Summary" in the macro to the name of your sheet with the summary, on this line: Set sh1 = Sheets("Summary")
Also update in the macro, on this line: Case sh1.Name, "Sheet1", "Sheet2", "etc" , if you have sheets that you don't want to be considered.

Run this macro:
VBA Code:
Sub UniqueValuesFromMultipleColumns()
  Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet
  Dim i As Long, j As Long
  Dim f As Range

Set sh1 = Sheets("Summary")   'Summary sheet name
  sh1.Rows("2:" & Rows.Count).ClearContents

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
  For Each sh In Sheets
    Select Case sh.Name
      Case sh1.Name, "Sheet1", "Sheet2", "etc"    'Sheet names to exclude from review.
      Case Else
        For j = 1 To sh.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(1).Column
          For i = 2 To sh.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(3).Row
            Set f = sh1.Columns(j).Find(sh.Cells(i, j).Value, , xlValues, xlWhole, , , False)
            If f Is Nothing Then
              sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(3)(2).Value = sh.Cells(i, j).Value
            End If
          Next
        Next
    End Select
  Next
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (UniqueValuesFromMultipleColumns) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. If you will need to do this again in this same workbook, and if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "Yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.
----------------------------------

NOTE XL2BB:
For the future, it would help greatly if you could give us the sample data in a form that we can copy to test with, rather that a picture.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in
Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

For example:
Dante Amor
ABC
1AmazonGoogleFace
2John Doe1John Doe12John Doe31
3John Doe2John Doe13John Doe32
4John Doe3John Doe14John Doe33
5John Doe4John Doe15John Doe34
6John Doe5John Doe16John Doe35
7John Doe6John Doe17John Doe36
8John Doe7John Doe18John Doe37
9John Doe19
10John Doe20
Summary
Wow, this worked like a charm and is written beautifully. Thank you so much for doing this!

Upvote 0
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back