update date in exce ONLYl when one or more cells are modified

pertusati

Hi all,
My name is Fabrizio and I am relatively new in the excel world.
What I would like to do is build a sort of inventory of chemicals in my lab.
I have prepared an excel sheet with four columns:
A) name of the chemical; B amount, C) reference number and D) location, plus two rows at the beginning of each page: one with the date and another one with the description of the content of the cells below.
What I would like to do is insert in one of the initial row the date the inventory is modified. In other words, when I will introduce a new chemical or when the amount of one already into the inventory is modified ONLY at that time the date will change. In this way, I will know when the last modification occur. If I am using the function TODAY every time I open the file the date automatically is updated and I do NOT whant this.
I know it looks complicated, but anyone knows if it is possible to do this?
Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Fabrizio

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Let's say that column E will indicate a date of last activity for an item, based on quantity changes and additions of new items. Deletions, of course, would not be necessary to show. You can use a Worksheet_change event procedure to show the date for a given item. Copy this procedure to your worksheet code module by right clicking the sheet name tab, then click "View Code" in the pop up menu and paste the code into that window. It will then run automatically when any change is made to the sheet, but will only execute the date entry if the change is made in column B.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
Range("E" & Target.Row) = Format(Date, "ddmmmyyyy")
End If
End Sub
Code:

Upvote 0
Let's say that column E will indicate a date of last activity for an item, based on quantity changes and additions of new items. Deletions, of course, would not be necessary to show. You can use a Worksheet_change event procedure to show the date for a given item. Copy this procedure to your worksheet code module by right clicking the sheet name tab, then click "View Code" in the pop up menu and paste the code into that window. It will then run automatically when any change is made to the sheet, but will only execute the date entry if the change is made in column B.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
Range("E" & Target.Row) = Format(Date, "ddmmmyyyy")
End If
End Sub
Code:

Thanks very much for this hint. However since i am not an expert in excel... were I can find the sheet code module? if I right clic on the sheet name (bottom of the page the menu appear but do not contain the view code menu.
I apologize for this lack of skills.
P.S I am using excel 2011 for MAC.
Fabrizio
Apologize in advance for this lack of skills.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back