Update stamp for change to a range of cells in a row vs single cell

Hollywood22

Hi all,

VBA newbie, hoping this is a quick edit. I found the following function online to create a timestamp function, and it works great for a single target cell. Until my corp allows the use of the most recent build with a built in changelog which could be a year or more, I am hoping someone can help modify the simple code below to:

1 - Act on a range of cells, i.e a1:z1
2 - If not too difficult add the user initials who did the change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Function MyTimestamp(Reference As Range)

If Reference.Value <> "" Then

MyTimestamp = Format(Now, "dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss")

Else

MyTimestamp = ""

End If

End Function

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
How are you using this function? A function returns a value; in this case it's a single value. Are you using this function in a worksheet cell, or are you calling it from another VBA Sub and doing something with it there? More context will be helpful.

Also, it returns a date/time formatted into a String. It will be more useful to just return the actual date/time value and format as desired in the worksheet.

Where do you want the initials to go?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. As noted, I found this through a google search so using it as is. Fully appreciate your points w.r.t. date format and the outcome of a function. Any other format is perfectly fine to me, I simply have thousands of rows on about 7 different sized tables so making individual ranges in the VBA as i've seen in other places is just too onerous

What Id like to use this for is to populate a cell in a table of data. The table itself is 15-30 rows of various data, mostly financial and before allowing other users to enter data, Id like a changelog of sorts such that if something breaks I can at least narrow my search based on which row of data was updated and when (by whom is nice but not absolutely needed)

So what id like is a function that i can apply to a range of cells i.e. A1:Z1 and populate cell AA1 with the update stamp, vs just looking at a single cell. I know the latest build has an actual change log ability but unfortunately my corporation wont allow it to be used until vetted which is likely a year away.

Thanks again for the time

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. As noted, I found this through a google search so using it as is.
What I meant was how are you calling it. Read my whole first paragraph to understand what the possibilities might be.

Upvote 0
I am using it in a worksheet cell. My table is columns A to Q, so in order to check if any cell in A1:Q1 has been updated I would like to use this function in cell R1. Unfortunately I can only look at one of those cells in A1 to Q1 though with the function as is.

Currently in cell R1 i can use =Mytimestamp(A1) , and then cell T1 = Mytimestamp(B1) and so on but that is a lot of inefficiency obviously. something to the effect of =mytimestamp(A1:Q1) would be enough.

Upvote 0
You can change the function to return an array, although I recommend that you update your profile to show your Excel version since that may matter in this case.

Note that I added "A" to the end of the function name. You can remove it if you want to continue to use the old name.
VBA Code:
Function MyTimestampA(Reference As Range) As Date()

Dim R As Long, C As Long
   Dim Result() As Date

ReDim Result(1 To Reference.Rows.Count, 1 To Reference.Columns.Count)

For R = 1 To Reference.Rows.Count
      For C = 1 To Reference.Columns.Count
         Result(R, C) = Now
      Next C
   Next R

MyTimestampA = Result

End Function
$scratch.xlsm
BCDE
403-10-2023 22:37:5803-10-2023 22:37:5803-10-2023 22:37:5803-10-2023 22:37:58
Highlight word
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4:E4B4=MyTimestampA(B4:E4)
Dynamic array formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am re-reading your posts. It appears that you want to put this only in blank cells. You can't do that in a worksheet formula, because it would require you to skip non-blank cells. The way my code works is to transfer an array onto the worksheet. That will result in a SPILL error if there are any non-blank cells in the range.

You will have to do this with a macro that you explicitly call, not a formula in a cell. If you want to do that I can modify the code above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back