Updating Formulas when opening Workbook in 2007

sammyf0818

Hi,

I have a bunch of forumlas set to pull from another workbook on a shared server to help forcast The formula is: ='Q:\Folder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\[NPO - February.xlsx]sheet'!B2 but the formulas do not refresh when I open the current workbook. Is this possible? I have never used MACROs but when I use to use 2003 it asked me to update formulas when I opened the spreadsheet which refreshed the data. Does anyone know how ot help me? I have seen a couple of posts but nothing specifically calling this fix out.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
With this workbook open, if you go File ribbon/Office button>Options/Excel Options and hit the Advanced category and scroll down the list until you come to the "When calculatin this workbook" section, do you have "Update Links to other documents" checked?

Upvote 0
Yes, and Save external link values is also checked

Not sure if this matters, but:

Under General Tab:
Ask to update automatic links is also checked

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure I've experienced a similar problem to this before - I think in the end I selected the whole sheet (ie all the cells using the button to the left of the column A header) and did a Find/Replace (Ctrl+h) with Find of = and Replace of = and Lookin: Formulas and hit Replace All. This was the only way I could force the formulas to calculate. See if that works for you.

Upvote 0
It does work and update the spreadsheet with the Find and replace; but you never figured out a long-term fix? I guess the longterm fix is to open and Find/replace? seems like something is broken, well maybe just excel 2007 :)

Upvote 0
I ended up just using Find/Replace cos it worked even if it wasn't ideal :)

I suspect that the problem may point to something 'broken' the workbook - you might therefore consider rebuilding it (effectively from scratch with a blank new workbook) and creating your formulas anew. They may well then update on opening as they are meant to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back