Updating master list from multiple tabs

sampson11

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook with tabs for different jobs
There are "task" tabs and "notes" tabs, those words are found in the name of the tab
The task tabs have multiple rows, with a name assigned to complete the task in that row

I need a master list for each name, on a new tab (3 names in this department = 3 master lists)
That list needs to search only the "task" tabs and compile all the tasks assigned to that name
the task lists will grow over time, and new task tabs will be added over time (task list limited to 100 rows)
I need the master list to update and include new task tabs as they're added

So far, I've only got an index match that can look at one specific task tab and grab all the task rows for one name from that job
I thought about simplifying this and combining the task and notes tabs
but I still need a solution that searches every tab in the workbook and includes new ones as they're created

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not pictures) of two or three of your "task" sheets. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
are you still using 2010 version of excel?
as this is your first post and you completed the profile, i suspect so
BUT
quite a few functions now added to 365 versions etc that may help here

Upvote 0
I'm using 365 for business version
Screenshot below, name column highlighted
also making this more interesting is the combination of two names in some tasks

1716555657030.png

Upvote 0
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not pictures) of two or three of your "task" sheets. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).ou said not pictures but that's what I did in haste... I'll get better

You said not pictures but that's what I did in haste... sorry, I'll get better

Upvote 0
It is hard to work with a picture. That is why I suggested using the XL2BB add-in to post screen shots or better still to upload your file.
making this more interesting is the combination of two names in some tasks
If you are saying that some sheet names can include both "Task" and "Notes", then a few examples of those sheet names would be helpful.

Upvote 0
If there is more than one name in the names column, do you want that task assigned to both names? I see some cells with three names.

Upvote 0
If there is more than one name in the names column, do you want that task assigned to both names? I see some cells with three names.
Yes sir, that task will need to show up in both guys list
Any names other than Jake Adam and Jeff will be ignored for now

Upvote 0
Here's where I got so far banging my head against this
On the Jake list tab:
Update button runs a macro to list all tabs with "Task" as the last 4 letters of the name (works as long as the admin keeps the convention)
I was trying to figure the rest out with formulas but I bet you're cooking up a big macro to handle it
I draw a blank when trying to figure out how not to have 100's of blank rows that have to be sorted
I've made workbooks compiling lists that way before

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWeekley08

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back