Updating Value On Worksheet A, Where Condition is Met on Worksheet B

reberryjr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to interrogate the data on mMD, and compare it to the data on mTP. If a range exists on both sheets, I want to update column J on mTP with "Y". If the range doesn't exist on mTP, then I want to add the info to mTP (this part works).

The code below works, except for updating column J with "Y". I'm getting a Next without For error, but I'm not clear as to why.

Code:
Private Sub cmd_TotalPopMid_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim m As Workbook
Dim mTP, mMD As Worksheet
Dim Rng As Range
Dim RngList As Object
Set m = ThisWorkbook
Set mTP = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Total_Population")
Set mMD = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("MD_Consolidated")
Set RngList = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
mMDLR = mMD.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
mTPLR = mTP.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Each Rng In mTP.Range("A2", mTP.Range("A" & mTP.Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If Not RngList.Exists(Rng.Value & Rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        RngList.Add Rng.Value & Rng.Offset(0, 2), Nothing
    End If
Next
[COLOR=#ff0000]For Each Rng In mMD.Range("A2", mMD.Range("A" & mMD.Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    'Update column J on mTP with Y, where the RngList exists.
    If RngList.Exists(Rng.Value & Rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        mTP.Range("J" & RngList).Value = "Y"[/COLOR]
    Else
    If Not RngList.Exists(Rng.Value & Rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        mMD.Range("A" & Rng.Row & ":H" & Rng.Row).Copy mTP.Cells(mMD.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    End If
Next
RngList.RemoveAll
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

So, I was testing this more thoroughly, and I found something odd. There seems to be a single record that is on both the MD and TP tabs, but is not getting a Y in column J. I've compared the data that's being used in the RngList, and the data is an exact match on both tabs.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
What values do you have in Cols A & C?
Can you have more than 1 occurrence of the concatenated values A&C?
Are you sure that the "missing" value is in the dictionary & is EXACTLY the same as the dictionary value (ie same case, not extra spaces etc)?
I'd also recommend when concatenating values in this manner use some thing like
Code:
If Not RngList.Exists(Rng.Value & "|" & Rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        RngList.Add Rng.Value & "|" & Rng.Offset(0, 2), Nothing
Otherwise 123 & 78 would be the same value as 12 & 378

Upvote 0
What values do you have in Cols A & C?
Depending on the source of the data, it could be anything. For this particular instance, column A is "Lotus Notes" and column C is the subject line of an email.

Can you have more than 1 occurrence of the concatenated values A&C?
Yes, that is possible. I'm glad you brought that up. I'll work on concatenating columns A, B & C into the dictionary.

Are you sure that the "missing" value is in the dictionary & is EXACTLY the same as the dictionary value (ie same case, not extra spaces etc)?
I'm positive. I've copied the record in question from both sheets, and did the ol' fashioned =A2=A3 and repeated for column C. Everything came back as true.

Excellent point on adding the pipe into the mix. I never thought about that.

Upvote 0
Modifying the dictionary to work on the 1st 3 cols, may well get rid of your problem. I suspect that you have 2 lines that are the same & therefore the dictionary, will only record one of them.

Upvote 0
@Fluff Ok, so I've got the code working pretty well. There seems to be one issue during the testing, that I don't understand.

The below code is "supposed" to place a Y in column J of the TP tab, where values in columns A, B & C match across the MD tab against the contents of the TP tab. However, if there are 2 sets of identical records on the MD and TP tabs, it's only placing a Y in column J, for 1 of the 2 records. I need it to place a Y in column J for both records. I realize that it seems counterintuitive since they're duplicates, but this is what the end user wants.

Thoughts?

Code:
Private Sub cmd_TotalPopMid_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim m As Workbook
Dim mTP, mMD As Worksheet
Dim rng As Range
Dim RngList As Object

Set m = ThisWorkbook
Set mTP = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Total_Population")
Set mMD = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("MD_Consolidated")
Set RngList = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
mMDLR = mMD.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
mTPLR = mTP.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Each rng In mTP.Range("A2", mTP.Range("A" & mTP.Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If Not RngList.Exists(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        RngList.Add rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2), rng.Row
    End If
Next
For Each rng In mMD.Range("A2", mMD.Range("A" & mMD.Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If RngList.Exists(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        mTP.Range("J" & RngList(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2))).Value = "Y"
    End If
    If Not RngList.Exists(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        mMD.Range("A" & rng.Row & ":K" & rng.Row).Copy mTP.Cells(mTP.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    End If
Next
RngList.RemoveAll
MsgBox ("The mid-day reports have been consolidated to the Total Population tab.  Please assign Processors as necessary.")
Call Formatting
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Try populating the dictionary with the value son the mMD sheet first

Upvote 0
Ok, I tried that, and now it's not matching all of the records it should be.
Code:
'Concatenates values in column A, B & C on the MD tab; into the dictionary.
        RngList.Add rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2), rng.Row
    End If
Next
'Concatenates values in column A, B & C on the TP tab; into the dictionary.
'If the 2 sets of dictionary items match, adds Y to column J of the TP tab.
    If RngList.Exists(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        mTP.Range("J" & RngList(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2))).Value = "Y"
    End If
'If the 2 sets of dictionary items don't match, adds the record from the MD tab, to the TP tab.
        mMD.Range("A" & rng.Row & ":K" & rng.Row).Copy mTP.Cells(mTP.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    End If
Next
RngList.RemoveAll

Upvote 0
How about
Code:
        RngList.Add rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2), rng
    Else
        Set RngList(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)) = Union(RngList(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)), rng)
    End If
Next
        RngList(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)).Offset(, 9).Value = "Y"
    ElseIf Not RngList.Exists(rng.Value & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & rng.Offset(0, 2)) Then
        mMD.Range("A" & rng.row & ":K" & rng.row).Copy mTP.Cells(mTP.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    End If
Next

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back