Urgent pls. Validation to accept on Date MM/DD/YY format noly. Pls help

pedie

Validation to accept on Date MM/DD/YY format noly. Pls helpThanks: Cell value should only take MM/DD/YY format.

Pedie

I am using this in validation > formula. For now it seems to work well but in case anything comes up
Hi Pedie,
I guess I'm not real clear on what you're wanting to do at this point.
I tried your formula in a validation cell yesterday and it didn't seem to limit my ability to enter anything I want, BUT... I really didn't have the time to make sure I was doing everything (else) right except the validation itself.

You say it's working ok for you now though? What are you thinking about when you say in case something comes up later? (something like what?)

What I sometimes end up telling my users is 'well, we can't program for stupid.' (Now we all know that we can in fact program for stupid to a degree, I just usually don't have the time (or energy) to dig down deep enough to reach their level of stupidity!) :biggrin:

In a case like this I would normally go with a bit of vba that allows the user to enter the date any way they like, and then have it format it to my specs after the fact, but that still doesn't address the American / international formatting issue that xenou hit on... (which I don't have to deal with here) but I suppose I would cobble up some userform message or something that allows the user to choose. (But then I do tend to try & solve all the world's problems with vba instead of formulas...)

Dan

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back