Use pivot table to list values and add as comments

MarkPhil

I've been Googling and reading these forums for a while but still haven't figured out how to accomplish what I want to do. I'm not sure how to describe what I need in a way that's both concise and clear, so let me show you what I've got, and explain step-by-step. My data look like this:

A
B
C
D
ID#NameFavorite SportFavorite Color
1AngelaGolfBlue
2BillGolfBlue
3ChrisBasketballRed
4DeniseBasketballRed
5EricGolfRed
6FrancesHockeyRed

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have a pivot table with "Favorite Sport" as the rows, "Favorite Color" as the columns, and "Count of ID#" as the values. So it looks like this:

A
B
C
BlueRed
Basketball2
Golf21
Hockey1

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I want is to have a separate worksheet that shows the results of the pivot table, plus has a comment in each non-blank cell showing a list of the corresponding values from the Names column. So there would be a comment in B3 with the text "Angela, Bill", a comment in C2 with "Chris, Denise", a comment in C3 with "Eric", and so on.

I know that I can double click on a cell in the pivot table (or right-click and select “Show detail”) to get a new sheet with all the details for that cell, so I could get the Name values that way. But my data have 30+ values for Favorite Sport and 30+ for Favorite Color (and most sport-color pairings have at least one associated name, often as many as 20 names), so this would be very tedious to do manually, especially if I need to add or remove rows of data later.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/296309-pivot-table-show-detail-work-around.html

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/772447-macro-insert-comments-based-cell-values.html

Any advice would be very appreciated. I’m happy to provide additional detail if anything’s unclear about what I’m trying to do. I'm using Excel 2016 for Windows.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Sorry, forgot to provide context for the links I posted. They are both threads that seem related to a piece of what I'm trying to do, but they describe somewhat different situations and I'm not sure how to combine those strategies (or if there's a totally different way to go about this...)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nic0la

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back