Using AND in complicated look up feature

Lball

Board Regular
Hi All,

I am using a formula to search a saved chart of data to find the number of times an item appears in the chart. I used the following formula to get started...

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Chart,SMALL(IF(Fico<=$A$3,ROW(Fico)),ROW(1:1)),5)),"",INDEX(Chart,SMALL(IF(Fico<=$A$3,ROW(Fico)),ROW(1:1)),5))

Chart=whole data array
Fico=Column A of Chart
DocTYpe=Column B of Chart

I used A3 as input to find number times of occurance and list column E of chart for each occurance. It works great.

Here's my question...I really want this to be a search engine for the number of times my input boxes (A3 and B3) both occur at the same time in the Chart. Example: A3=620 and B3=SIVA, i want to print out the data in column 5 of chart for all matches of 620 to Fico and SIVA to DocType.
Anyone have an idea of how to integrate AND or another way to get the same results???

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi

Think I have the cell references and named ranges correct.
Assumes the output is going into Row 1.

=INDEX(chart!E:E,SMALL(IF((FICO=$A$#)*(DocType=$B$3),ROW(FICO),65536),ROW()))
array entered (ctrl, shift enter)

Format the cell as Format, Cell, Number, Custom,#;#;""

copy down as required.

Tony

Upvote 0
Thank you for your input. I am having problems with the formula. It doesn't like the $A$#. Then i broke the formula down further to test areas, and its this part that doesn't work. First i have to change the "#" to something so i use a 3. I am getting a Num# error

SMALL(IF((FICO=$A$#)*(DocType=$B$3),ROW(FICO),65536),ROW()))

I'm trying to trouble shoot, but i don't know the reasoning behind $A$# or the * between the two. Can you send some more info. Or if i can help define things better i will. Please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Lball said:
Hi All,

I am using a formula to search a saved chart of data to find the number of times an item appears in the chart. I used the following formula to get started...

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Chart,SMALL(IF(Fico<=$A$3,ROW(Fico)),ROW(1:1)),5)),"",INDEX(Chart,SMALL(IF(Fico<=$A$3,ROW(Fico)),ROW(1:1)),5))

Chart=whole data array
Fico=Column A of Chart
DocTYpe=Column B of Chart

I used A3 as input to find number times of occurance and list column E of chart for each occurance. It works great.

Here's my question...I really want this to be a search engine for the number of times my input boxes (A3 and B3) both occur at the same time in the Chart. Example: A3=620 and B3=SIVA, i want to print out the data in column 5 of chart for all matches of 620 to Fico and SIVA to DocType.
Anyone have an idea of how to integrate AND or another way to get the same results???

Which cell house the first instance of this non-robust formula?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back