Using countifs while excluding duplicates

Renaissance

Board Regular
Hey Everyone! I just wanted to start off by saying I've been reading the forums for quite some time now and have been able to find a solution through everyone's examples. Now, it looks like I am at an impasse, though.

I currently have a large quantity of raw data that has many different uses columns A:AB with row 1 as headers, while the rows are in the 50,000+. My situation is that I am pulling the total cost of data through a period & call number, while dividing it by the amount of entries from that same data, minus duplicates.

I've been able to use examples like: =SUM(1/COUNTIF(NAMES,NAMES)) for other sets of data. But this one is a bit more complicated.

So far I have been using: =IFERROR(SUMIFS('Raw Data'!$W:$W,'Raw Data'!$R:$R,$C$3,'Raw Data'!$S:$S,F$4,'Raw Data'!$B:$B,$D5)/COUNTIFS('Raw Data'!$R:$R,$C$3,'Raw Data'!$S:$S,F$4,'Raw Data'!$B:$B,$D5),"-")

What I need to do is replace the /COUNTIFS part (or modify it) to exclude duplicates. In this case they are Purchase Order numbers. I don't need to divide a single cost by 4, if they are all a part of that same cost, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any and all time spent in my dilemma. And if I need to insert an excerpt of my raw data, I can.

It is actually operating perfectly now! Thank you sooo so much Aladin! You're help has been invaluable. This completely answers my initial question.

If possible, I wanted to ask a couple more questions:
- 1.) Would it be better to name these ranges and use named ranges as opposed to updating the range manually every time I add data?
- 2.) If I wanted to use this to encompass a broader amount of data (ie. take one of the criteria out), would it be as simple as removing IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$60000=$C$3, and then one of the parentheses? Or would this mess up the frequency function?

Again, thank you so much :) And I am currently working on removing the IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$60000=$C$3, and trying to get a number for non-specific purposes.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
The latest update on the formula you posted works soundly. It is specific to the criteria I need, and when I remove the "IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$60000=$C$3," I am doing so to try and get the information to be less specific, say for example, all Accounts. SO I remove one part and come up with:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000<>"",
IF('Raw Data'!$B$2:$B$60000=$D11,
IF('Raw Data'!$S$2:$S$60000=J$4,
MATCH('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000,'Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000,0)))),
ROW('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000)-ROW('Raw Data'!$D$2)+1),1))

Only thing is, that when I put this in, I get 0, so I wondered if I misinterpreted how frequency worked. Does it need more criteria to function properly? Or did I simply write this incorrectly? I'm loving that formula by the way, and I am using named ranges now, which seems to similarly to the $R$2:$R$60000.

Upvote 0
It is actually operating perfectly now! Thank you sooo so much Aladin! You're help has been invaluable. This completely answers my initial question.

You are welcome.

If possible, I wanted to ask a couple more questions:
- 1.) Would it be better to name these ranges and use named ranges as opposed to updating the range manually every time I add data?

Let's try the following recipe.

Define Lrow with Raw Data as Scope by means of Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,'Raw Data'!$D:$D)

Define Drange as referring to:

='Raw Data'!$D$2:INDEX('Raw Data'!$D:$D,'Raw Data'!Lrow)

Brange as:

='Raw Data'!$B$2:INDEX('Raw Data'!$B:$B,'Raw Data'!Lrow)

Srange as:

='Raw Data'!$S$2:INDEX('Raw Data'!$S:$S,'Raw Data'!Lrow)

Rrange as:

='Raw Data'!$R$2:INDEX('Raw Data'!$R:$R,'Raw Data'!Lrow)

Ivec as:

=ROW(Drange)-ROW(INDEX(Drange,1,1))+1

Now we can re-write our earlier formula:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$50652<>"",
   IF('Raw Data'!$B$2:$B$50652=$C$3,
   IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$50652=$D5,
   IF('Raw Data'!$S$2:$S$50652=E$4,
     MATCH('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$50652,'Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$50652,0))))),
       ROW('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$50652-ROW('Raw Data'!$D$2)+1),1))

as follows:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Drange<>"",
   IF(Brange=$C$3,
   IF(Rrange=$D5,
   IF(Srange=E$4,
     MATCH(Drange,Drange,0))))),
       Ivec),1))

- 2.) If I wanted to use this to encompass a broader amount of data (ie. take one of the criteria out), would it be as simple as removing IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$60000=$C$3, and then one of the parentheses? Or would this mess up the frequency function?

Again, thank you so much :) And I am currently working on removing the IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$60000=$C$3, and trying to get a number for non-specific purposes.

The latest update on the formula you posted works soundly. It is specific to the criteria I need, and when I remove the "IF('Raw Data'!$R$2:$R$60000=$C$3," I am doing so to try and get the information to be less specific, say for example, all Accounts. SO I remove one part and come up with:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000<>"",
IF('Raw Data'!$B$2:$B$60000=$D11,
IF('Raw Data'!$S$2:$S$60000=J$4,
MATCH('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000,'Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000,0)))),
ROW('Raw Data'!$D$2:$D$60000)-ROW('Raw Data'!$D$2)+1),1))

Only thing is, that when I put this in, I get 0, so I wondered if I misinterpreted how frequency worked. Does it need more criteria to function properly? Or did I simply write this incorrectly? I'm loving that formula by the way, and I am using named ranges now, which seems to similarly to the $R$2:$R$60000.

Using the original formula, the removal of Rrange and the associated condition go as follows:
Rich (BB code):
   IF(Brange=$C$3,
   IF(Rrange=$D5,
   IF(Srange=E$4,
     MATCH(Drange,Drange,0))))),
       Ivec),1))
Leading to:
Rich (BB code):
   IF(Brange=$C$3,
   IF(Srange=E$4,
     MATCH(Drange,Drange,0)))),
       Ivec),1))

Upvote 0
Hey Aladin,

For some reason, when I use the formula and it only encounters one occurrence that matches all the criteria, it values it at 0. So all of my data that amounts to 1 is automatically zeroed out. Do you know why this might be? Thanks :)

It's been a little while since I've jumped on the forums (super busy with wife & kids, school and work), but I hope all has been well for you.

Upvote 0
Hey Aladin,

For some reason, when I use the formula and it only encounters one occurrence that matches all the criteria, it values it at 0. So all of my data that amounts to 1 is automatically zeroed out. Do you know why this might be? Thanks :)

It's been a little while since I've jumped on the forums (super busy with wife & kids, school and work), but I hope all has been well for you.

Hard to diagnose. Perhaps you can provide a sample that illustrates the problem.

Upvote 0
It has been too long! Time slips through my fingers, but I did end up getting the formulae to work. Thank you so much for answering my questions!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bergy32204

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back