Ozhatch

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows

<tbody>
</tbody>
You guys have been very helpful in the past, and I hope you can help again.

I'm designing a tool that will assist our club treasurer to calculate member fees, and remittances from Australia to the organisation's headquarters in the USA. I would like to insert some sort of hyperlink which would interrogate a foreign exchange website and return a current exchange rate from Australian dollars to US dollars (or vice-versa).

The result of that interrogation, i.e. 1.00 USD = 0.998901 AUD would then become a factor in the spreadsheet, to do the conversion. (I took that conversion from XE: (USD/AUD) US Dollar to Australian Dollar Rate) Ideally, the 'fetch' should be in the background, and only the result would show in the spreadsheet.

Is this possible, and if so, how would it be done?

Waiting with bated breath...

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi,

To be honest with you, I have no idea how to solve this, sorry. But considering that you haven't had any replies, I decided to do a G**gle search...

This is what I thought may be of some help....

Excel VBA Pull Data From A Website - YouTube

Excel VBA Using A Web Service with XMLHTTP - Weather Forecast - YouTube

Different Ways of Using Web Queries in Microsoft Office Excel 2003

Or these....

Learn Excel 2013 - "Scraping Web Pages with Excel": Podcast #1684 - YouTube

How to "Scrape" currency conversions off web... Maybe using Google

Excel Database Query (Single Table)

I hope these help, if nothing else, it has bumped you up and hopefully someone will take a look at your question.

Good luck.

Ak

Upvote 0
Thanks, Akashwani. These look like some very useful links. I will peruse them and see what I can find. I always thought it would be a tough one, so I came straight to MrExcel before going to the "font of all knowledge."

(y)

Upvote 0
Several ways to do this, here's the most easy one:

1. Go to Data > From Web.
2. In the address field enter XE: (AUD/USD) Australian Dollar to US Dollar Rate and click go.
3. Once the page is loaded click the Arrow at the very top left cordner and then OK.
4. Confirm the next dialog box or adjust the settings as you want them to be.
5. Now the Content from the website is saved in your spreadsheet. You can link to the number you are after and use it in your calculations. Refresh by clicking Data > Refresh All
6. Hide the sheet

Of course you can use other techniques to pull ony that one number, but that would require some VBA-Coding.

Upvote 0
Hi Ferdi. Thanks! This is fantastic! I did as you suggested, and when I got to inserting the hyperlink, I got an error message that said line 81, character 1 returns an error 'e9Manager' is undefined. I clicked through the error message and got to where I could insert the data in the new sheet. Now I find that the relevant cell with the exchange rate is not updating. Did I do something wrong?

:confused:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back