Using Large/Small function

JasmineL

I'm using the Large function in conditional formatting to determine the top 3 scores in a range of numbers selected and coloring them based on their 1, 2, 3 rank. The conditional formatting works when the cells selected are in the same grouping [=LARGE(C$6:C$13,1)]; however, when I try to use the same formula but changing the cells to individually selected cells [=large(C$6,C$8,C$10,C$12,C$14,C$16,C$18,C$20,1)]...thoughts?

JasmineL said:
Strange...when I tried to assign the array earlier, it didn't recogize...I renamed the range and instead of using the formula drop down in conditional formatting, I used the cell value equal to...and it worked.

Correct, you can do it thru' cell value is and Equal to and =Large(Array,1) as well. I just like doing it with formula is...matter of taste :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Domenic said:
....since the OP wants to highlight the second and third highest scores as well, this won't give the correct results when there are ties. Probably best to adopt Aladin's Top N list described in the following link...

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=69970&highlight=

That was my thought originally but now I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you use that formula as 1st condition then a second condition with the 2nd argument of LARGE set to 2 and then 3rd condition with 3 then it essentially works like a standard ranking would.

If there is a tie for 1st then two cells are highlighted red but nothing highlighted for the second condition

Upvote 0
I want the ties to color as well...in other words, if the numbers are 100, 50, 50, 25. I want the 100 colored one way, the two 50s colored another way, and the 25 colored a third way.

Here's what is working:

Select the range and assign a name (Array1 does not get recognized, but ArrayA does).
Choose the range for ranking, select conditional formatting.
Choose Cell Value Is...Equal To...=Large(ArrayA,1)
Repeat for conditions 2 and 3.

It's pretty cool...the only time consuming part is having to define all of the names.

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
barry houdini said:
That was my thought originally but now I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you use that formula as 1st condition then a second condition with the 2nd argument of LARGE set to 2 and then 3rd condition with 3 then it essentially works like a standard ranking would.

If there is a tie for 1st then two cells are highlighted red but nothing highlighted for the second condition

For some reason, I was thinking in terms of 'consecutive ranking'... :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back