Using row numbers to create a range to be copied?

passinthru

Board Regular
Hi, folks. I'm working with some diagnostic messages produced by a communications network, and trying to isolate a certain kind of message. There are many different types of messages contained in the error logs, and I need to look at different ones at different times. As a single log may contain thousands of messages, I'm trying to use VBA to grab the ones I want. The easy part is that these logs can be exported as CSV files. Yay!

Each message contains an identifier which I can use for finding the correct messages of a given type. (I'm only looking for one type at a time.) However, this identifier is not on the first line of the message; it's buried a few lines down, and the number of lines is variable. Additionally, the length of the message is variable. The good news is, all messages of interest start with the same text string, and all of them end with another consistent text string. It looks something like this:

Message Start
blah
blah
Message Type
blah
blah
Message End

(Where "blah" is useful information that varies, and the number of lines of blah varies.)

The Message Start string is constant across all message types, as is the Message End string, so I can't use them to find the correct Message Type. However, they are still useful for marking the start and end of each message.

I'm using the find function to find the correct message type, then another find (going up) to get the start of the message, and putting the row number into a variable (msgStartRow). Then I find again for the end of message (msgEndRow).

That all works just fine.

What I can't figure out is how to turn those message row numbers into a range that can then be copied and pasted onto a separate worksheet.

How can I use these variables to copy the correct range? For example, this is what I recorded manually, but it's not intelligent. It can't accommodate different message lengths:

Code:
    ActiveCell.Offset(6, 0).Range("A1:A145").Select
    Selection.Copy

Or is there a better approach you can suggest?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Can you get the message text into a string?

If so, you could do something like
Code:
if strMessage like "*Message Type1*" then DoStuffForType1
if strMessage like "*Message Type2*" then DoStuffForType2
etc
It isn't very elegant, but should get you started

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. The following line of code uses the Message Start row number and Message End row number to define a range that you can copy. This code assumes that your messages are in column A.
Code:
Range(Cells(MessageStart.Row, "A"), Cells(MessageEnd.Row, "A")).Copy

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. The following line of code uses the Message Start row number and Message End row number to define a range that you can copy. This code assumes that your messages are in column A.
Code:
Range(Cells(MessageStart.Row, "A"), Cells(MessageEnd.Row, "A")).Copy

Thank you, mumps! I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. :)

I'll try it out and report back!

Upvote 0
No joy. It chokes with an "Invalid Qualifier" compile error, highlighting the "msgStart" part of the expression.

I've declared the variables at the start of my macro like this:

Code:
Dim LastRow As Long, CurrentRow As Long, msgStart As Long, msgEnd As Long

And my data is in column F, so my selection code looks like this:

Code:
Range(Cells(msgStart.Row, "F"), Cells(msgEnd.Row, "F")).Copy

Looks like the ".Row" might have been the problem. When I tried again with this:

Code:
Range(Cells(msgStart, "F"), Cells(msgEnd, "F")).Copy

I got no compile error. Instead, I got a runtime error elsewhere! :LOL:

So, mumps, I think you got me pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back