Using search and replace is changing the cell format

neeraj_chow

Board Regular
I am using excel 2007. I have around 9K rows and 5 columns of data. The first column has one or two words in bold and punctuated by a full stop and rest of the words in this column is separated by a comma and is of a regular font without any formatting. I want to replace all such comma with a semi colon. But when I try to use the search and replace method/command to replace, then after the replacement the entire cell format also changes to bold. I tried various possible ways to curb it but nothing works but am unable to change this behavior of excel.

Need some insights how can I change the , to ; without the cell format getting changed/applied to the entire cell after the replacement.

Thanks

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
After performing any function (for example replacement), Excel restores the common font format that had been set for the cell so what you need is not possible this way. The common format will be restored even if you replace a space with a space.<o:p></o:p>
What you need is possible with a macro: it preserves the individual substring formatting in the cell during replacing; or you can perform the replacing in Excel and then do the neccessary formatting in the whole range of cells with a click of a button.
<o:p></o:p>
Visit: http://youtu.be/aN7cIWsz95E
<o:p></o:p>
http://www.excelfindandformat.herobo.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back