Using trim & search function with vlookup

KetanR

Hi Guyz, please help me with the below so that i could crack the reconciliation.:confused::eek:

Data in one cell of Sheet 1: JASON-JASON BOURNE,SB-America
Data in one cell of Sheet 2: JASON

I want to search and trim the word before hyphen without any consistency ie. only "JASON" from the Sheet 1 and want to match if the data of Sheet 2 is true using Vlookup formula which i have pasted below for your reference.I have been using the below formula to trim and search but not sure how to club the extract with vlookup formula as like the one pasted below the trim formula.

=TRIM(LEFT(W4,SEARCH("-",W4)-1))

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet1 1!P:AC,14,0)=VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!A:G,7,0)=True,"",(VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!A:G,7,0))),"")

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I'm not sure I understand everything you need. Will there always only be 1 Jason? Are you looking to return all the matches of Jason on sheet 2? Just the first one? I don't know what the phrase "club the extract" means in this context. Could you clarify?

Upvote 0
@pleasemailme

For your Q1, No there shall be more names in Sheet1 which i want to match with details in Sheet 2. Below are the sample details for your reference.

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet1 1!A:D,4,0)=VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!A:C,3,0)=True,"",(VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!A:C,3,0))),"")

B6 is the cell reference

Sheet1
A
B
C
D
ID NO
NAME
SHIPMENT DETAILS
CLIENT DETAILS
Vikky
00-10
VIKKY-VIKKY MAIK,AC-India
Ankit
00-11
ANKIT-ANKIT MAIK,AB-India
Mike
00-12
MIKE-MIKE CAND,AD-India
Jason
00-13
JASON-JASON BOURNE,SB-America
Austin
00-14
AUSTIN-AUSTIN PAUL,SB-America
Paul
00-15
PAUL-PAUL BLAKE,SB-America
Jake
00-16
JAKE-JAKE CHRIST,SB-America

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet2
A
B
C
ID NO
NAME
SHIPMENT DETAILS
Vikky
00-10
Ankit
00-11
Mike
00-12
Jason
00-13
Austin
00-14
Paul
00-15
Jake
00-16

<tbody>
</tbody>

Q2: I want to merge TRIM, SEARCH formula with VLOOKUP which is what I meant by "club the extract"

I hope this clarifies.

Upvote 0
@pleasemailme

Small change to the question

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(A6,Sheet1 1!A:D,4,0)=VLOOKUP(A6,Sheet2!A:C,3,0)=True,"",(VLOOKUP(A6,Sheet2!A:C,3,0))),"")

A6 is the cell reference

Upvote 0
Howdy,
If I understand correctly, all you want is: If the name before the "-" from sheet 1 is in sheet 2, then return the name on sheet 2 to sheet 1, If not, return nothing.

If that is the case, this should work for you:

=IFERROR(OFFSET(Sheet2!$B$1,MATCH(MID(Sheet1!D2,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!D2)-1),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$8,0),0),"")

I used your sample data from above. That is where my cell references came from. I'd be curious to see how close I am to your original intent after you update the cell references.

Upvote 0
Greetings,

Thanks a lot for the formula.

=IFERROR(OFFSET(Sheet2!$B$1,MATCH(MID(Sheet1!D2,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!D2)-1),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$8,0),0),"")

I can tell you if its working or not only when you tell me where i could use "True" formula so that i could check if the data is correct and if yes the cell will go blank. If "FALSE" respective data of the cell will show up and that's how i had framed the formula which i mentioned in my initial post. :wink::wink:

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(A6,Sheet1 1!A:D,4,0)=VLOOKUP(A6,Sheet2!A:C,3,0)=True,"",(VLOOKUP(A6,Sheet2!A:C,3,0))),"")

Upvote 0
I guess that's the part I'm not understanding. What data are you checking to see is correct? It looks you are are just checking if Vikki from sheet 1 is also in Sheet 2. If she is in both places, return a blank. If not, return Vikki's name. Is that not what you're trying to do? If not, I apologize for not understanding and will need further clarification. If so, then this modification to the above formula will work

=(IF(IFERROR(MATCH(MID(Sheet1!D2,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!D2)-1),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$8,0),-1)>0,"",MID(Sheet1!D2,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!D2)-1)))

It will return a blank if Vikki from sheet 1 is on sheet 2 and it will return Vikki if she is on sheet 1 and not on sheet 2.

Upvote 0
Hey come on apologies are not required anyways you are too close also partly right that iam just checking if Vikki from sheet 1 is also in Sheet 2. If she is in both places, return a blank. If not, return Vikki's name but i want you to help me add the extract formula in the below pasted formula,

because the below formula you suggested me i guess is to check particular coloumn from sheet 1 with respective coloumn in sheet 2 without range but the formula i referred checks on basis of the ID NO that has the range also checks if its right but all i have to do is apply the extract formula to it so help me out on the formula i created.

=(IF(IFERROR(MATCH(MID(Sheet1!D2,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!D2)-1),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$8,0),-1)>0,"",MID(Sheet1!D2,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!D2)-1)))

Upvote 0
Perhaps I am over complicating this, then. If A6 is where the text string is with the dashes, then replace 'A6' in your formula with:

MID(Sheet1!A6,1,FIND("-",Sheet1!A6)-1)

I don't see how your formula used the ID field, but it seems to be working for you. Hopefully the above formula will extract the text you need for your VLOOKUP. If not, let me know and we'll try again. Thanks.

Upvote 0
@pleeseemailme

You are not complicating but trying to help me out anyways the formula you suggested is more or less the same as "=TRIM(LEFT(W4,SEARCH("-",W4)-1))" but it did work.

The formula works because iam doing a vlookup keeping ID as reference and trying to check if the data in another sheet is true.

I was trying to short the steps from 2-3 to 1 which is why i was trying to mix both the formulas together but its cool.

Thanks a ton.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back