Using UNIQUE but display only Top 10

karmaimages

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I have a list of names in Col N and which I'm filtering on a dashboard to the current year things have been listed to their names using the following formula:

=SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER('Data For Attribution'!N:N,('Data For Attribution'!R:R=Dashboard!B2))))

B2 Contains a drop down of dates which updates all sheets when the user changes the year.

However, I only need to display the Top 10 in the unique list, is there a better way without Pivots to do this?

Many Thanks

How about
Excel Formula:
=LET(u,UNIQUE(FILTER('Data For Attribution'!A:A,('Data For Attribution'!N:N=B2)*('Data For Attribution'!M:M=B3))),s,SORTBY(u,COUNTIFS('Data For Attribution'!A:A,u,'Data For Attribution'!N:N,B2,'Data For Attribution'!M:M,B3),-1),INDEX(s,SEQUENCE(MIN(ROWS(s),10))))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
How about
Excel Formula:
=LET(u,UNIQUE(FILTER('Data For Attribution'!A:A,('Data For Attribution'!N:N=B2)*('Data For Attribution'!M:M=B3))),s,SORTBY(u,COUNTIFS('Data For Attribution'!A:A,u,'Data For Attribution'!N:N,B2,'Data For Attribution'!M:M,B3),-1),INDEX(s,SEQUENCE(MIN(ROWS(s),10))))
Thank you very much

I have one issue, where I've added another filter, if there are any matches to perform a Top 10 say the filter only has results for 3, it's pulling in random data for the remainder of the top 10 - is there a way to just 10 or fewer where > 10 don't exist?

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=LET(x,UNIQUE(A:A),TAKE(SORT(DROP(HSTACK(x,BYROW(x,LAMBDA(y,COUNTIFS(A:A,y,N:N,B2)))),1),2,-1),10))

Or, if you don't have access to TAKE() and DROP() yet:
Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER(A:A,N:N=B2),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=LET(x,UNIQUE(A:A),TAKE(SORT(DROP(HSTACK(x,BYROW(x,LAMBDA(y,COUNTIFS(A:A,y,N:N,B2)))),1),2,-1),10))

Or, if you don't have access to TAKE() and DROP() yet:
Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER(A:A,N:N=B2),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))
I don't have the Take or Drop Options,

The second option doesn't produce the same results as @Fluff formula produced which was correct.

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER('Data For Attribution'!N:N,'Data For Attribution'!S:S=Dashboard!B2,'Data For Attribution'!U:U='Breach Breakdowns'!J3),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))

I amended your formula to the sheets within my workbook but the results weren't correct. The formula was entered into cell BW19

Upvote 0
I don't have the Take or Drop Options,

The second option doesn't produce the same results as @Fluff formula produced which was correct.

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER('Data For Attribution'!N:N,'Data For Attribution'!S:S=Dashboard!B2,'Data For Attribution'!U:U='Breach Breakdowns'!J3),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))

I amended your formula to the sheets within my workbook but the results weren't correct. The formula was entered into cell BW19
It's because you have butchered the FILTER() function. Note that the 2nd parameter should be written in a Boolean like structure of you have multiple criteria.

In any case, you have a working answer which is important. This would have been able to output two columns. One with unique entries and a 2nd one with a count.

Upvote 0
It's because you have butchered the FILTER() function. Note that the 2nd parameter should be written in a Boolean like structure of you have multiple criteria.

In any case, you have a working answer which is important. This would have been able to output two columns. One with unique entries and a 2nd one with a count.
Unfortunately, that doesn't actually mean anything to me, are you able to assist correcting this?

Upvote 0
A boolean-like structure is basically multiplication between different arrays of FALSE/TRUE values. Something like (array1=x)*(arry2=y). In your case:

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER(A:A,(N:N=B2)*(M:M=B3)),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))

Upvote 0
A boolean-like structure is basically multiplication between different arrays of FALSE/TRUE values. Something like (array1=x)*(arry2=y). In your case:

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER(A:A,(N:N=B2)*(M:M=B3)),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))
Unfortunately it just doesn't work for me, I'm working across multiple sheets, If I change the filters to the correct sheers and columns, it doesn't produce the correct results.

The first column produces a list of names (not the top 10) and the second column produces a #NAME? error

Below is what I changed the formulas to:

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER('Data For Attribution'!N:N,('Data For Attribution'!S:S=Dashboard!B2)*('Data For Attribution'!U:U='Breach Breakdowns'!J3)),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it just doesn't work for me, I'm working across multiple sheets, If I change the filters to the correct sheers and columns, it doesn't produce the correct results.

The first column produces a list of names (not the top 10) and the second column produces a #NAME? error

Below is what I changed the formulas to:

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,FILTER('Data For Attribution'!N:N,('Data For Attribution'!S:S=Dashboard!B2)*('Data For Attribution'!U:U='Breach Breakdowns'!J3)),y,UNIQUE(x),INDEX(SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},y,BYROW(y,LAMBDA(z,SUM(--(x=z))))),2,-1),ROW(1:10),{1,2}))
Then you also don't have access to BYROW just yet. Either update your version of Excel to pull in these functions or the most obvious: go with the working answer that you got from @Fluff

Upvote 0
if you don't have access to TAKE() and DROP() yet:
Which the OP does not have as I originally used the Take function & the Op said he/she had a #Name error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back