validation formula for text length, case and dependent on value of another field

ssanders

I have a situation where I need to create a validation formula that limits length of entry to 30 characters or less, is all upper case and the end of the entry be the letters "ET" if the value of another cell is equal to "Y".

I have already worked out the formula for the combination of length and case to be:

=AND(LEN(V4)<=30,EXACT(V4,UPPER(V4)))

where V4 the cell the validation is for but not sure how to add the part about forcing the last two letters of the entry to be ET if the value of cell K4 is Y.

Any suggestions as to whether this can be done? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
ssanders,

Welcome to MrExcel.

Two possibilities....

Excel 2007
Y
4TRUE
5TRUE
Sheet9
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
Y4=AND(LEN(V4)<=30,EXACT(V4,UPPER(V4)),(RIGHT(V4,2)="ET")=(K4="Y"))
Y5=AND(LEN(V4)<=30,EXACT(V4,UPPER(V4)),IF(AND(K4="Y",RIGHT(V4,2)<>"ET"),FALSE,TRUE))

The first one will not accept ET as the end of the input string if K4 is NOT "Y"

The second will accept "ET" on the end of the sting in all cases.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess, I need to be a bit more clear in the description of what I need. If the value in K4 is Y, then I want to force the string entered in V4 to end in ET. If the value in K4 is N (the other option), then it is OK for V4 to end in ET. What I am looking to do is force the user to end the string in ET if K4 is equal to Y. Can that be done?

Upvote 0
That is exactly what my second formula should be doing.
How is it not working for you?

Upvote 0
I must have had an error in the way I had entered it originally because it seemed to allow anything whether the value in K4 was Y or N. Seems to be working now. Thanks so much for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back