VALUE#! error when multiplying two cells

Robert123

When multiplying two cells one with cell with a formula: =
((PI()*((A2/2)^2))*B2) cell formated to a number decimal (1). The other cell has a constant, formated to number decimal (1). An error of #VALUE!. I have done calculations like this before and never had a problem. Any help would be apprieceated. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
#Value usually means you have text. When you change an existing cell format doesn't really change the format. You would have to format the cell, then select F2 and press enter. There are other ways but that's the quick way for single cells.

Upvote 0
Lynn, I've never seen what you describe - can you give an example of what content that would so-to-speak "numberize?"

Lynn is correct that your decimal formatting (or formating :devilish: ) has no bearing. I suspect your problem is with A2 or B2. Can you pick an empty cell and put
=0+A2
without giving an error? Also with =0+B2 ?

Upvote 0
Lynn, I've never seen what you describe - can you give an example of what content that would so-to-speak "numberize?"

Sorry I don't understand your question?

Upvote 0
I had the same problem, i found out i had used a comma instead of a period, that fixed it

i used: ,

should have used: .

(made account for this, hope it helps)

Upvote 0
Additionally, should u not want to reformat the 'source' cells, i recommend incasing all cell references u THINK are 'math numbers' in 'VALUE()'. I beleive this should also not have any adverse affects on things that are indeed supposed to be text to the human eye (e.g. 'foo'), so u can spam it around pretty liberally :).

Additionally, as a diagnostic tool, u can see if your data is indeed the type u think it is by using 'ISNUMBER()' (returns true/false).

Upvote 0
Additionally, should u not want to reformat the 'source' cells, i recommend incasing all cell references u THINK are 'math numbers' in 'VALUE()'. I beleive this should also not have any adverse affects on things that are indeed supposed to be text to the human eye (e.g. 'foo'), so u can spam it around pretty liberally :).

Additionally, as a diagnostic tool, u can see if your data is indeed the type u think it is by using 'ISNUMBER()' (returns true/false).

I should say that if your original cell has a DATE in it, this might not do what you want...

Upvote 0
I beleive this should also not have any adverse affects on things that are indeed supposed to be text to the human eye (e.g. 'foo'),
I'm afraid you believe wrong, if the value cannot be coerced into a number Value() will return a #VALUE! error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back