variable within vlookup

JJules01

Hi All,

This is really frustrating me: Trying to set a current region within a vlookup. Never done this before. Data in "test 1" sheet is somewhat dynamic: rows are variable; columns are set to 12 (A:L). Thought CurrentRegion would do the trick. And maybe it still could but referencing it into my vlookup errors out. is my syntax for the vlookup incorrect or I bombed the whole code? thanks

Set test_data = Sheets("test1").Range("A1").CurrentRegion
Sheets("Test2").Range("T2").Formula = "=VLOOKUP($F2,test_data,4,false)"

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi,
You're creating a normal formula the same way you'd type it into a cell. So you need a range address or a defined name in there:

Sheets("Test2").Range("T2").Formula = "=VLOOKUP($F2," & test_data.address & ",4,false)"

Basically, you're building a formula string using concatenation.
ξ

Upvote 0
Hi Xenou,

Appreciated helping a newbie here. Couple of things I dont understand (yet):

- I already defined test_data as the currentregion on sheet 'test1'. why can't I just ref it as the lookup array?
- what is the significance of **.address you provided above. i used it as you showed and returned a strange range of (A1:D3) from the same sheet 'test2'.

Sorry in advance if my questions sound stupid...

Upvote 0
Hi,

When you do this:
Code:
Set test_data = Sheets("test1").Range("A1").CurrentRegion
you create a reference variable called test_data. You can use it in vba (no problems there). But what you're doing with vba is not pure. You are using vba to write a formula in a cell on the worksheet. When you write formulas in a worksheet you don't use vba variables in the formulas. So that's why it won't work that way. You have to write a formula that works in a worksheet cell as a regular formula, without any vba variables in it.

If you wanted test_data to be a defined name then that's another story (I'm not sure if you want to do that).

i used it as you showed and returned a strange range of (A1:D3) from the same sheet 'test2'.
This shouldn't be a strange range. It should be the address of the current current region of cell A1, which is what you set range test_data (in your macro) to be. I see you have sheet test1 in the code and sheet test2 in this comment. Are you using more than one sheet?

By the way, it might be simpler to use a dynamic named range (no vba involved):
http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks Xenou,

I am using two sheets: test1 and test2. formula resides in 'Test2'.range ("t2") but it looks up a range from 'test1'.range("A:L") to return my value. I tried to define 'test_data' as a variable Current Region on sheet 'test1'. If I can't use a variable in my vlookup formula, then that's a showstopper for me. Oh, well... learning every day.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back