VBA - Add New Worksheets & Name (from a list of cells)

Dreamteam

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

First post and pretty excited...

I'm new to VBA and I'm really just trying to learn it correctly from the start (whatever that actually means). I have a pretty straightforward piece of code that I have written - which works - and that's great. However, I am wondering if this is almost perfect. By this I mean I guess that there are plenty of ways to complete this task but I am keen to know if this way is as good as it can get.

Oops, I better mention what I am trying to do here. I have a list of currency pairs in col A of a worksheet (AUD USD, USD CAD, GBP AUD etc...) and I am creating new worksheets based on these values.

It has taken me quite a while to write as I had a few issues with it - i.e. if I ran it when I had another workbook open then the worksheets would be added to the wrong workbook etc.

I think what I am also keen to find out is the view of using object references as opposed to statements like .select / .activesheet etc

Any advice/comments would be much appreciated because as alluded to above I want to begin the correct way.

Many thanks

Dt

Code:
Sub CreateWorksheetsAddNames()
    Dim wb As Workbook
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim MyCell As Range
    Dim MyRange As Range

Set wb = Workbooks("What is Trending xlsm")
    Set ws = wb.Worksheets("Data")
    Set MyRange = ws.Range("a2")
    Set MyRange = ws.Range(MyRange, MyRange.End(xlDown))

For Each MyCell In MyRange
        wb.Worksheets.Add After:=wb.Worksheets(wb.Worksheets.Count)
        wb.Worksheets(wb.Worksheets.Count).Name = MyCell.Value
    Next MyCell

End Sub

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
the filename does not include a dot before the extension, should be '.xlsm,' no?

Also if you are writing a macro you shouldn't reference objects with select and activate because it will be harder to follow. When you set objects to named variables it is easier to read and the code will be less prone to error. Like if you add a worksheet but then want to do something with the previously active worksheet you would have to reactivate it again. It just creates more steps and the code is more vague.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this Cerfani.

No, the file name is fine - I actually named this What is Trending xlsm - although I am not sure why I did that :~)

Upvote 0
@Dreamteam
There's nothing wrong with your code.
However I would recommend always adding the file extension onto the end of a workbook name.
If somebody with different system settings tries to run that macro it will fail on the Set wb= line.
Also, this is more personal preference than anything, I'd write the Set MyRange like
Code:
Set MyRange = Ws.Range("A2", Ws.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))

Upvote 0
@Dreamteam
There's nothing wrong with your code.
However I would recommend always adding the file extension onto the end of a workbook name.
If somebody with different system settings tries to run that macro it will fail on the Set wb= line.
Also, this is more personal preference than anything, I'd write the Set MyRange like
Code:
Set MyRange = Ws.Range("A2", Ws.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))

Many thanks for these comments

Upvote 0
Many many thanks for this - crumbs what a resource :~)

Dreamteam,

Thanks for the feedback.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

And, come back anytime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back