VBA code to find heading and copy data

Todd_H

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello,
I am a VBA noob and I was hoping that someone could assist with a code for what I am trying to do. These threads have helped me a lot since beginning my macro journey.

I have data that provides employee service history, this can vary in length from employee to employee. The data is about half way down the report and has a heading in column A "current service" and below the heading in columns A, B, C, D and E is the data I want to copy to another sheet where a table is. Below the current service data is a new heading, also in column A, so I want the code to stop reading and copying data when the new heading is found.

Any help you would be able to give would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi Todd_H,

Welcome to MrExcel!!

Change any code line in the following that I've commented with "<-" to suit your needs and then see how this goes:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim wsFrom As Worksheet, wsTo As Worksheet
    Dim rngFrom As Range, rngTo As Range
    Dim lngPasteRow As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set wsFrom = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") '<-Sheet name containing data to be copied. Change to suit if necessary.
    Set wsTo = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2") '<-Sheet name where the data from 'wsFrom' will be paste to. Change to suit if necessary.
    Set rngFrom = wsFrom.Cells.Find(What:="current service", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Offset(1, 0)
    Set rngTo = wsFrom.Cells.Find(What:="end service", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Offset(-1, 0) '<-'end service' will need to be changed to whatever text you want the code to find as its second heading.
    lngPasteRow = wsTo.Range("A:E").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row + 1 '<-Paste into the next available row acros columns A to E of 'wsTo'. Change to suit if necessary.
    wsFrom.Range("A" & rngFrom.Row & ":E" & rngTo.Row).Copy Destination:=wsTo.Range("A" & lngPasteRow) '<-Pastes into Col. A of 'wsTo'. Change to suit if necessary.

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Todd_H,

Welcome to MrExcel!!

Change any code line in the following that I've commented with "<-" to suit your needs and then see how this goes:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim lngPasteRow As Long

Set wsFrom = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") '<-Sheet name containing data to be copied. Change to suit if necessary.
    Set wsTo = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2") '<-Sheet name where the data from 'wsFrom' will be paste to. Change to suit if necessary.
    Set rngFrom = wsFrom.Cells.Find(What:="current service", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Offset(1, 0)
    Set rngTo = wsFrom.Cells.Find(What:="end service", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Offset(-1, 0) '<-'end service' will need to be changed to whatever text you want the code to find as its second heading.
    lngPasteRow = wsTo.Range("A:E").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row + 1 '<-Paste into the next available row acros columns A to E of 'wsTo'. Change to suit if necessary.
    wsFrom.Range("A" & rngFrom.Row & ":E" & rngTo.Row).Copy Destination:=wsTo.Range("A" & lngPasteRow) '<-Pastes into Col. A of 'wsTo'. Change to suit if necessary.

End Sub

Regards,

Robert
Thank you Robert,
This works great.
I have across another issue with my data that you may be able to help with.
When capturing the data under the heading in one of the columns there is a blank cell, I need the cell to change those cells from blank cells to show a "Y" but only for blanks cells that are under the heading "current service" but before the next heading.
This can be a seperate macro to covert the cells before running your above macro to copy the data.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
When capturing the data under the heading in one of the columns there is a blank cell, I need the cell to change those cells from blank cells to show a "Y" but only for blanks cells that are under the heading "current service" but before the next heading.

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim lngPasteRow As Long
    Dim strMyCol As String

strMyCol = Split(rngFrom.Address, "$")(1)
    wsFrom.Range(strMyCol & rngFrom.Row & ":" & strMyCol & rngTo.Row).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Value = "Y"

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back