VBA Code to Track Sheet Changes

coreyalaurence39

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Range("I2,L2,P2")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Select Case Target.Column
        Case Is = 9
            With Sheets("DispatcherTracking")
                .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 4).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, Target.Value, Now())
            End With
        Case Is = 12
            With Sheets("Sheet1")
                .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 4).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, Target.Value, Now())
            End With
        Case Is = 16
            With Sheets("Sheet2")
            End With
    End Select
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

I have the above code set up to track changes to specific cells. Is it possible to add a case that will track changes in cells A5 to P1000 within the sheet and enter the changes to a sheet called Log Details. I am not sure how to manipulate the above code to do this.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Should be what you asked for:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A5:P1000")) Is Nothing Then '<- added, check if range A5:P1000
        Sheets("Log Details").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 4).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, Target.Value, Now()) '<- added
    Else                                          '<- added, if not range A5:P1000 go on to previous macro
            Case Is = 9
                End With
            Case Is = 12
                With Sheets("Sheet1")
                End With
            Case Is = 16
                With Sheets("Sheet2")
                End With
        End Select
    End If                                        '<- added
End Sub

Upvote 0
Should be what you asked for:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A5:P1000")) Is Nothing Then '<- added, check if range A5:P1000
        Sheets("Log Details").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 4).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, Target.Value, Now()) '<- added
    Else                                          '<- added, if not range A5:P1000 go on to previous macro
            Case Is = 9
                End With
            Case Is = 12
                With Sheets("Sheet1")
                End With
            Case Is = 16
                With Sheets("Sheet2")
                End With
        End Select
    End If                                        '<- added
End Sub
Thank you so much this is working great. Is there a way to add what the old value was before the change. I was also interested in knowing if it could also capture when a formula is altered and what the old and new formula is.

Upvote 0
You could use this but will work correctly only if you move from one cell to another before a change of contents in the cell.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Public OldData
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A5:P1000,I2,L2,P2")) Is Nothing Then OldData = Target.Value
End Sub
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A5:P1000")) Is Nothing Then
        Sheets("Log Details").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
    Else
            Case Is = 9
                Sheets("DispatcherTracking").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
            Case Is = 12
                Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
            Case Is = 16
                Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
        End Select
    End If
End Sub
Detecting when a formula is updated is a completely different case, per forum rules I suppose you should open a new thread with new topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
You could use this but will work correctly only if you move from one cell to another before a change of contents in the cell.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Public OldData
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A5:P1000,I2,L2,P2")) Is Nothing Then OldData = Target.Value
End Sub
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A5:P1000")) Is Nothing Then
        Sheets("Log Details").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
    Else
            Case Is = 9
                Sheets("DispatcherTracking").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
            Case Is = 12
                Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
            Case Is = 16
                Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 5).Value = Array(Environ("UserName"), Target.Address, OldData, Target.Value, Now())
        End Select
    End If
End Sub
Detecting when a formula is updated is a completely different case, per forum rules I suppose you should open a new thread with new topic.
Thank you for your help but I am receiving the error that is attached in the photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-25 082058.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-25 082058.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Did you paste all the code (post #4) in the sheet's module ? did you delete/substitute all the old code (post #2) ?
On which line does the debug stop (it's highlighted yellow) ? which variable does it highlight (blu) ?

Upvote 0
Did you paste all the code (post #4) in the sheet's module ? did you delete/substitute all the old code (post #2) ?
On which line does the debug stop (it's highlighted yellow) ? which variable does it highlight (blu) ?
Thank you it seems to be working now.

Upvote 0
Certainly, no doubt :eek:. Thanks for the positive feedback(y), glad having been of some help. Good luck with the thread regarding formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back