VBA - copy different template sheets from a workbook, into multiple sheets of another workbook based on criteria on a summary excel sheet

kira123

I have 2 workbooks. The "master" workbook has a summary sheet with column A - List of names hyperlinked to a blank sheet each in the same workbook, the tabs are labelled the same as the name in the column. Column B has 1 or a combination of colour - there is 5 options (red, blue, green, blue & red, or red & green). I have a separate template workbook that has 5 template sheets each one corresponding to the colour: labelled red, blue, green, blue & red, or red & green.

I want a macro that will go through column B of my "master" workbook, and depending on the colour, copy the corresponding template from the template workbook and then go back to the master workbook click through the link in the adjacent column A, which will take it through to an empty sheet and paste the template. This should repeat to go through the entire column.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<code>Sub Summary()

Dim MasterBook As Workbook
Set MasterBook = ActiveWorkbook
With MasterBook

Dim rng As Range
Set rng = Range("B:B")

End With
Dim TemplateBook As Workbook
Set TemplateBook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:="C:\Users\Desktop\Example template.xlsx")

Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In rng
If cell.Value = "Red" Then
cell.Offset(0, -1).Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=True
TemplateBook.Sheets("Red").Copy ActiveSheet.paste
ElseIf cell.Value = "Blue" Then
cell.Offset(0, -1).Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=True
TemplateBook.Sheets("Blue").Copy ActiveSheet.paste
End If

Next cell

End Sub</code>

I've been trying to get the code to work for the past week with no luck. I tried various modifications, which ends up giving different error codes. The first Error I was getting was with <code>Set rng = Intersect(.UsedRange, .Columns(2))</code> “Object doesn’t support this property or method” So then I changed this to just going through the entire column just to see if it would work. <code>Set rng = Range("B:B")</code>.

When I do that then it reads through and I get an error for <code>Set HyperlinkedBook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=cell.Offset(0, -1).Value)</code> with the error code: run time error 1004 Sorry we couldn’t find 24 James.xlsx. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?” I believe that this line of the code is assuming that the hyperlink should open a different workbook with that name, however this is not the case.

The hyperlink on the summary sheet links through to other sheets on the same master workbook, only the templates are on a separate book. So to overcome this I tried changing this line as well and ended up with the code above, which manages to open the template workbook, and copy just the tab name onto the first sheet and then gives an error for the following line <code>TemplateBook.Sheets("Red").Copy ActiveSheet.Paste</code>, saying “subscript out of range”

I tried several more variations but I just can’t get it to copy the correct template, switch back to the master workbook, follow through the link on the summary sheet to the correct sheet (within the same master workbook), and paste the template.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back