VBA to create sheets from a template based off a list in the master sheet not working when protected

Ibis2653

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am a bit new to VBA still, I got this code from another post on this forum but its a bit old and hasn't had a reply for 3 years.
I am running into a problem, I have the sheet protected and a button to run the code. when the sheet it protected I get an error saying it cant be run on a protected sheet. If I remove the .SpecialCells(xlConstants) from the set shNames line it will run but then I get a type mismatch error on the line If Not Evaluate("ISREF('" & NmSTR & "'!A1)") And wsMASTER.Range("G" & Nm.Row).Value = "Proceed" Then. The code works fine when unprotected. Thanks for your help

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub EvalSheetSummaryContractor()

'Create copies of a template sheet using text on a master sheet in a specific column
Dim wsMASTER As Worksheet, wsTEMP As Worksheet, wasVISIBLE As Boolean
Dim shNAMES As Range, Nm As Range, NmSTR As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False                              'stops the screen updating and make the code run faster
With ThisWorkbook                                               'keep focus in this workbook
    Set wsTEMP = .Sheets("Template")                            'sheet to be copied
    wasVISIBLE = (wsTEMP.Visible = xlSheetVisible)              'check if it's hidden or not
    If Not wasVISIBLE Then wsTEMP.Visible = xlSheetVisible      'make it visible

Set wsMASTER = .Sheets("SUMMARY - CONTRACTORS")                    'sheet with names
                                                                'range to find names to be checked
    Set shNAMES = wsMASTER.Range("B4:B153").SpecialCells(xlConstants)     'or xlFormulas

For Each Nm In shNAMES                                      'check one name at a time
        NmSTR = FixStringForSheetName(CStr(Nm.Text))            'use UDF to create a legal sheetname
        If Not Evaluate("ISREF('" & NmSTR & "'!A1)") And wsMASTER.Range("G" & Nm.Row).Value = "Proceed" Then       'if sheet does not exist and pre-requisite is proceed...
            wsTEMP.Copy After:=Sheets("Ranking")                 '...create it from template
            ActiveSheet.Name = NmSTR                            '...rename it
        End If
    Next Nm

'orders the sheets the same as they appear on the summary page
   Dim MasterOrder As Collection
    Set MasterOrder = New Collection

On Error Resume Next
    For Each Nm In shNAMES                                      'checks one name at a time
        MasterOrder.Add Sheets(Nm.Value), CStr(Nm.Value)        'checks where those sheets are in the master list
        Next Nm
        On Error GoTo 0
        Dim i As Long
        For i = 1 To MasterOrder.Count                                      'puts new sheets into a new collection
            Sheets(MasterOrder(i).Name).Move After:=Sheets(.Sheets.Count)   'moves the sheets to the end of all other sheets in order they appear on the summary page
        Next i

wsMASTER.Activate                                           'return to the master sheet
    If Not wasVISIBLE Then wsTEMP.Visible = xlSheetHidden       'hide the template if necessary
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True                           'update screen one time at the end
End With
End Sub

Function FixStringForSheetName(shSTR As String) As String

'replace each forbidden character with something acceptable
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, ":", "")
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, "?", "")
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, "*", "")
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, "/", "-")
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, "\", "-")
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, "[", "(")
    shSTR = Replace(shSTR, "]", ")")

'sheet names can only be 31 characters
    FixStringForSheetName = Trim(Left(shSTR, 31))

End Function

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
above and below I added the formula for Protect & Unprotect Sheets, and u just change "a" with the password protected each sheets

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

'Create copies of a template sheet using text on a master sheet in a specific column

Set wsMASTER = .Sheets("SUMMARY - CONTRACTORS")                    'sheet with names

'-----------------------

ActiveSheet.wsMASTER.Unprotect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("Template")
ActiveSheet.wsTEMP.Unprotect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("SUMMARY - CONTRACTORS")

'-----------------------

Application.ScreenUpdating = False                              'stops the screen updating and make the code run faster

With ThisWorkbook                                               'keep focus in this workbook

wasVISIBLE = (wsTEMP.Visible = xlSheetVisible)              'check if it's hidden or not

Set shNAMES = wsMASTER.Range("B4:B153").SpecialCells(xlConstants)     'or xlFormulas

For Each Nm In shNAMES                                      'check one name at a time

NmSTR = FixStringForSheetName(CStr(Nm.Text))            'use UDF to create a legal sheetname

If Not Evaluate("ISREF('" & NmSTR & "'!A1)") And wsMASTER.Range("G" & Nm.Row).Value = "Proceed" Then       'if sheet does not exist and pre-requisite is proceed...

wsTEMP.Copy After:=Sheets("Ranking")                 '...create it from template

End If

Next Nm

On Error Resume Next

For Each Nm In shNAMES                                      'checks one name at a time

MasterOrder.Add Sheets(Nm.Value), CStr(Nm.Value)        'checks where those sheets are in the master list

Next Nm

On Error GoTo 0

Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To MasterOrder.Count                                      'puts new sheets into a new collection

Sheets(MasterOrder(i).Name).Move After:=Sheets(.Sheets.Count)   'moves the sheets to the end of all other sheets in order they appear on the summary page

Next i

wsMASTER.Activate                                           'return to the master sheet

If Not wasVISIBLE Then wsTEMP.Visible = xlSheetHidden       'hide the template if necessary

Application.ScreenUpdating = True                           'update screen one time at the end

End With

'-----------------------

ActiveSheet.wsMASTER.Protect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("Template")
ActiveSheet.wsTEMP.Protect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("SUMMARY - CONTRACTORS")

'-----------------------

End Sub

End Function

Upvote 0
haha sorry i spam reply because i cant delete my reply,focus on my last reply ya :)

Upvote 0
above and below I added the formula for Protect & Unprotect Sheets, and u just change "a" with the password protected each sheets

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

'-----------------------

ActiveSheet.wsMASTER.Unprotect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("Template")
ActiveSheet.wsTEMP.Unprotect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("SUMMARY - CONTRACTORS")

'-----------------------

End If

Next Nm

On Error Resume Next

Next Nm

On Error GoTo 0

Dim i As Long

Next i

End With

'-----------------------

ActiveSheet.wsMASTER.Protect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("Template")
ActiveSheet.wsTEMP.Protect = "a"  'Change "a" with ur Password Protected Sheets("SUMMARY - CONTRACTORS")

'-----------------------

End Sub

End Function
I thought about doing this but I can see in the future someone running into a problem when they change the password and don't update the VBA/ don't know how to 😂

Upvote 0

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

'-----------------------

'-----------------------

End If

Next Nm

On Error Resume Next

Next Nm

On Error GoTo 0

Dim i As Long

Next i

End With

'-----------------------

'-----------------------

End Sub

End Function
for context the cells in B4:B153 will always just have next or numbers never a formula if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back