VBA Function validating field

MagiCat

Board Regular
I have a VBA script that I wrote to validate the VIN number in Microsoft Excel.

The declaration is:

Function VINValidate(VIN as string) as boolean

which means that it will return TRUE if the VIN is valid and FALSE is invalid.

Is there a way to use this VBA script (which uses nothing that's exclusively Excel) to validate a field in Microsoft Access. I understand that I might have to change the declaration or something like that.

Vic: It's more that I'm the only one one using the database. But since there is data that's not related directly to the trucks but links via a foreign key, I decided to go with Access to store it instead of Excel (plus, I'm the only one with Access.) The forms that people submit are in Excel (which is why I asked the same basic thing in the Excel forum about data validation)

Mike, Yeah, it was more that I was looking for a way to use actual validation code. I tested it on our local fleet of about 150 trucks and fully 25% of them had invalid VINs in the current database. Went to the trucks and got the real ones. I don't really understand why a validation routine isn't already out there for VBA but I guess it's because it's not that difficult to create your own.

In case you need it, I also created one to determine the model year from the VIN:

Code:
Function VINYear(VINNumber As String) As String

workingvinnumber = Trim(VINNumber)
    If Len(VINNumber) <> 17 Then
        VINYear = "Invalid"
        Exit Function
    End If

yearData = "ABCDEFGHJKLMNPRSTVWXY123456789"
    yearCharacter = Mid(workingvinnumber, 10, 1)

VINYearNumber = InStr(1, yearData, yearCharacter)
    If VINYearNumber > 0 Then
        VINYear = CStr(1979 + VINYearNumber)
    Else
        VINYear = "Invalid"
    End If

End Function

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
MagiCat

There are some people who believe that any data input to a database should be done solely through forms.

The user shouldn't have direct access to the underlying tables/queries.

By using forms you have much more control on how/what data is entered.

Upvote 0
I'll stick to the form entry though. It is not that hard to change the form when the table changes, and if you make the form a Datasheet style, then is feels just like entering the data into the table, but you get the advantages of using the form (validations, etc.)

Upvote 0
Wish I could add more - I've never actually needed to do it precisely the way you are now so I haven't tested the limits of validation in access.

Mike

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm sold on the form now that I know I can use a Datasheet view (that's the other reason I wasn't going to use one, because since I'm the only one viewing it, I kindof want to sift through the data as I use it.

So what I've done is created the following as a BeforeUpdate:

Code:
Private Sub VIN_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

If Not IsNull(Me!VIN) Then
        If Not VINValidate(Me!VIN) Then
            MsgBox "Invalid VIN Number"
            Cancel = True
        End If
    End If

End Sub

Still kindof disappointed that I can't do this at the table level, that way if I make multiple forms I wouldn't have to keep creating the procedure over and over again. Oh well, I'll live :)

Upvote 0
MagiCat

Why not just copy the original form(s)?

Upvote 0
Perhaps you could have looked at embedding the function inside a SQL statement which would look like this in most basic form. This would just give you a select query which you could use elsewhere.

Code:
SELECT flda
FROM myTbl
WHERE VINValidate(VinField) = True

Mike

Upvote 0
Norie: Thanks, might have came to that myself, might not have :) Forms are kindof new to me.

Mike: Good idea, had to change the parameter value to a variant to allow for the potential that the VIN would be a Null, but after that it worked great to let me know if there are any problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back