VBA hacker? How can I protect?

ChrisOK

I created (with great feedback from Mr Excel pros) a Request For Quote Tracking file that has saved my organization a ton of money and time.

Everyone but 1 person in a different location has LOVED using it for the last month or so... I believe THAT person is working hard to sabotage the Tracking Tool that sits on a server as a (Shared & Protected) file. Many people must access this file from various locations and update the status of their orders/proposals daily....

With the internal ("Track Changes") feature I've found that this person has been caught deleting "ranges" of data that is not their's to be touching... They claim they are very knowledgeable with computers - but upon being questioned they said - it must of just happened by accident.....

Now, the measures to destroy have worsened...!!!!!!
:devilish:
Last wk, the person DELETED the entire file from the server folder that the administrator was supposed to have had DELETE protected. So, I placed another copy on the server, everyone re-entered all lost data and now today -- (which is a big deadline day for all updates ) the person has reaked havoc!

First they got in there to do their updates, then performed a SAVEAS, changed the file name, was able to UNPROTECT and UNSHARE IT- then re-saved it back to the server with it's original name. Everyone paniced again- because it was now a "READ-ONLY" file and only 1 at a time could open it.

I put a NEW shared/protected file out there - -and everyone RE-ENTERED their data that they lost - as the file would not let them perform saves - because they opened the READ ONLY file ( not realizing they couldnt save if they didnt choose and await the NOTIFY button....
THEN, about 30 minutes before the end of day deadline- the thing began putting out VBA errors.....
By end of day -- you can now OPEN the file, but all the sheets within it are 'gone'.... it's just one big "gray matter" area.

It appears they knew VBA and popped into the VBA editor and had their fun wiping everything out - but leaving the 'shell' behind for laughs...

IS THERE A WAY to PREVENT a person from going THIS far!?!?
To keep them from doing the SAVEAS trick?
To keep them from jumping into the VBA area?

We have no real proof of all of today's activities were done by the same person....

HELP!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I can put a new copy back tomorrow- but they will just re-destroy it unless I find a way to stop this....

ANY IDEAS?
Signed with intense dismay! :cry:
ChrisOK

Cute!
After yesterday - I was thinking of a lot more choice words- - that extended beyond 'idiot'....
I like your creative idea.

Keep them coming!!!!
I need all the AMMO I can get!
o_O

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Edit my previous post...it should have included the following sub. Apologies :oops:
<pre>Sub Dummy()
'// NoGo, leave blank OR Display a message eg.
MsgBox "Sorry you this command is NOT available", vbCritical
End Sub</pre>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back