TopLearner

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everybody,

I hope you are well.

I have the column A with multiple cities.
A1 is the header "Location"

Then, I have the name of cities in the range A1:A200.

I also have the column B with the header "Revenue"

I would like to create a macro that delete those rows that contains "(Central)" in the "Location" column, column "A"

My attempt is

VBA Code:
Sub LimpiarFilas()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim cell As Range

Set ws = Sheet1

For Each cell In Range("A:A")

If cell.Value = "(Central)" Then
cell.EntireRow.Delete

End If

Next cell

End Sub

However, it is not working as cells in column A contain either cities' names like Milan or cities' names + (Central). For instance Cordoba (Central).
Then, I would like to delete the row that contains Cordoba (Central)
Would it be something like the below?

VBA Code:
IF cell.value = IF(Isnumber(match("(Central)",B1)),"Yes","No").Value = "Yes" Then
cell.entirerow.delete

Thanks
Sanchez

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Two things:

1. If you want to see if a value is contained anywhere in a cell, use the INSTR function.
See: MS Excel: How to use the INSTR Function (VBA)

2. When deleting rows, always work backwards. Otherwise, some may be missed, as deleting rows shifts your range up, while you are working down.

Try this code:
VBA Code:
Sub LimpiarFilas()

Dim lr As Long
Dim r As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheets("Sheet1").Activate

'Find last row in column A with data
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

'Loop through all rows
For r = 1 To lr
    If InStr(Cells(r, "A"), "(Central)") > 0 Then
        Rows(r).Delete
    End If
Next r

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Alternative approach that uses filtering instead of looping:

VBA Code:
Sub LimpiarFilas()
'
    Dim ws As Worksheet
'
    Set ws = Sheet5
'
    With ws.UsedRange
        ws.AutoFilterMode = False                                                               '   Remove any filters
'
        .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="*(Central)*"                                          '   Filter column A for "*(Central)*"
'
        On Error Resume Next                                                                    '   For the case when there is no visible rows
        .Resize(.Rows.Count - 1).Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete  '   Skip header row 1
        On Error GoTo 0                                                                         '   Return error handling back to Excel
'
        ws.AutoFilterMode = False                                                               '   Remove filter which leaves remaining rows
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Two things:

1. If you want to see if a value is contained anywhere in a cell, use the INSTR function.
See: MS Excel: How to use the INSTR Function (VBA)

2. When deleting rows, always work backwards. Otherwise, some may be missed, as deleting rows shifts your range up, while you are working down.

Try this code:
VBA Code:
Sub LimpiarFilas()

Dim lr As Long
Dim r As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Find last row in column A with data
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

'Loop through all rows
For r = 1 To lr
    If InStr(Cells(r, "A"), "(Central)") > 0 Then
        Rows(r).Delete
    End If
Next r

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub
Hi Joe4

Many thanks for your help.

If you do not mind, I have a few questions as I am very new to VBA.

When you use style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'>Sheets(style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#E29232'>"Sheet1"style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'>).Activatestyle='font-family:Courier;color:#141414'>
Is the same as class=prism-token>Setstyle='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'> ws style='box-sizing: border-box'>style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'>=style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'> Sheet1style='font-family:Courier;color:#141414'>
In this case?

Could you use 1 instead of “A” to designate the first column?

Regards
Sanchez

Upvote 0
Alternative approach that uses filtering instead of looping:

VBA Code:
Sub LimpiarFilas()
'
    Dim ws As Worksheet
'
    Set ws = Sheet5
'
    With ws.UsedRange
        ws.AutoFilterMode = False                                                               '   Remove any filters
'
        .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="*(Central)*"                                          '   Filter column A for "*(Central)*"
'
        On Error Resume Next                                                                    '   For the case when there is no visible rows
        .Resize(.Rows.Count - 1).Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete  '   Skip header row 1
        On Error GoTo 0                                                                         '   Return error handling back to Excel
'
        ws.AutoFilterMode = False                                                               '   Remove filter which leaves remaining rows
    End With
End Sub
Thanks. What does resize do?

Upvote 0
Thanks. What does resize do?

Have a look here for an explanation.

Basically resize alters the range being used.

VBA Code:
That line of code you are inquiring about looks at the rows of data that are visible at that time, it skips the first row with offset(1,0) ... the header row ... and deletes the rest of the rows that are visible at that time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When you use style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'>Sheets(style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#E29232'>"Sheet1"style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'>).Activatestyle='font-family:Courier;color:#141414'>
Is the same as class=prism-token>Setstyle='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'> ws style='box-sizing: border-box'>style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'>=style='font-family:"inherit",serif;color:#141414'> Sheet1style='font-family:Courier;color:#141414'>
In this case?
I have no idea what you are asking there. It seems to have nothing to do with your original question.
If you have a separate question about styles, you should post it in a new thread.

Could you use 1 instead of “A” to designate the first column?
Are you talking about when using "Cells" to refer to ranges?
With "Cells", you can use either the column letter or column number, i.e.
VBA Code:
Cells(r, "A")
is the same as:
VBA Code:
Cells(r, 1)

Upvote 0
I have no idea what you are asking there. It seems to have nothing to do with your original question.
If you have a separate question about styles, you should post it in a new thread.

Are you talking about when using "Cells" to refer to ranges?
With "Cells", you can use either the column letter or column number, i.e.
VBA Code:
Cells(r, "A")
is the same as:
VBA Code:
Cells(r, 1)
Hi Joe4,

Sorry, it was not about the styles, it is the style/format that the forum put to my query, apologies.

What I asked is that, when you use Sheets("Sheet1").Activate is the same as using Set ws = Sheet1?

Thanks about the answer to my another query about the numbers and the letters to refer to rows/columns

Thanks again,
Sanchez

Upvote 0
What I asked is that, when you use Sheets("Sheet1").Activate is the same as using Set ws = Sheet1?
They may eventually be used to accomplish the same purpose, but they are not doing the same thing.
VBA Code:
is simply activating Sheet1.

VBA Code:
Set ws = Sheet1
is setting Sheet1 equal to a Worksheet variable type.
This makes referencing it easier later in your code.
You could then activate that sheet in your code like this:
VBA Code:
ws.Activate
or use it in range references, i.e.
VBA Code:
ws.Range("A1")

Upvote 0
They may eventually be used to accomplish the same purpose, but they are not doing the same thing.
VBA Code:
is simply activating Sheet1.

VBA Code:
Set ws = Sheet1
is setting Sheet1 equal to a Worksheet variable type.
This makes referencing it easier later in your code.
You could then activate that sheet in your code like this:
VBA Code:
ws.Activate
or use it in range references, i.e.
VBA Code:
ws.Range("A1")
Many thanks for all of your answers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back