VBA learning curve in short time - any direction?

scott2000

Hey everyone. New to the board, and I could use some direction.

The Situation
- I am up for a job as a Excel VBA programmer in an office where the job is to create VBA for formatting data into templates, pivot tables, etc.

Six months ago, I was an intermediate PHP programmer, but haven't done much over this last half year (in computers).

The Problem - Don't know what I am doing.

Tried Avenues - Purchased a few books - but they take you through to the beginning parts, introduction to VBA, and I feel that what is offered at B&N then jumps to those Excel VBA Bibles - which seem more reference than lesson oriented. Online Tutorials - don't take you through to the next level - it seems to me. Correct me if I am wrong or looking in the wrong place.

I have a couple weeks - i'll put in 40 hours a week learning, I'll pay the 99 to take Mrexcel's course - I just need direction. Just looking at some of the posts, I feel a little relief seeing how supportive you guys are helping each other out.

If I can pull the job off, then I'll probably become a fixture on this board... (and start soft music) looking forward to when I can answer posts with solutions and rockin' code.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I have been on the board for a while but still often find getting a code to work a bit of a strugle. Someone, I believe it was here, recommended reading the question forum. Read the first post in a thread and trying working out a solution on my own. If I couldn't then read through to the solutions offered. Seeing real world situations and the different approaches to their solution goes a long way to rounding out one's understanding. If you've got a good handle on the types of situations you'll encounter then search for those specifically to narrow the scope of threads to review. I'm hoping to do something similar to you as Excel/VBA programmers in my area can make 6 figures.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
championbowler

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back