vba macro dynamically use multiple criteria for filters across multiple columns to then copy and paste to other sheet

Lisa Harris

Hi all, really hoping someone can help. Spent a few days now and getting nowhere it feels, and it may just not be possible.

I have a workbook with the following:

- sheet 1: a master list - columns B4:J containing categories that we need to filter by and then columns K4:IY with the unique name, number and info we need to copy and paste into sheet3. ROW 4 are the column headers

- sheet 2: a criteria setting sheet. The users can select from drop down data validation lists as many criteria needed to filter each column. Range B9:J14 - row 9 being column headers). so the criteria to filter column B on sheet 1 will be listed in range B10:B14 on sheet 2. Not all criteria will be selected each time, so these dynamic cells will be blank at times. i.e. may only want to filter column B by 1 criteria, which we would put in B10. therefore B11:B14 and C10:J14 will be blank as no criteria needed to be selected

-sheet 3: the output - a filtered view of the master list. this sheet (Range J5:IX) needs to be cleared before the macro begins the filtering and pasting. The cells copied from sheet 1 need to be pasted in J5 onwards (formatting as well as values)

Have tried looping codes which work across columns but only for one criteria and not dynamic cell ranges. I have also tried many autofilter codes, but cannot seem to get these to work past 2 columns or get correct result at times. So I went back to finding a looping code. The following code works nicely for one column with the dynamic cells, and to overcome the blanks cells, I have added a default setting of 'please select' when the criteria cells aren't needed. However, cannot add in any more columns - all attempts I have made error or crash.

Code:
Sub Copy_Cells_Loop()

Dim c As Range, lastrow As Long

lastrow = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "K").End(xlUp).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheets("sheet3").Range("J5:IX10000").ClearContents

For Each c In Sheets("sheet1").Range("A4:IY" & lastrow)

If c.Value = Sheets("sheet2").Range("B10") Or c.Value = Sheets("sheet2").Range("B11") Or c.Value = Sheets("sheet2").Range("B12") Or c.Value = Sheets("sheet2").Range("B13") Then

Sheets("sheet1").Range("K" & c.Row & ":IY" & c.Row).Copy Sheets("sheet3").Range("J" & c.Row).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

End If

Next c

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

The most recent autofilter I tried by adapting some code from a recorded macro is as follows, but this empties all filters and therefore lists no data to copy:

Code:
Sub Copy_Cells_Loop()

Dim c As Range, lastrow As Long

Set OverallSheet = Sheets("sheet1") '
   Set StandardSheet = Sheets("sheet2") '
   Set FilteredSheet = Sheets("sheet3") '

lastrow = OverallSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "K").End(xlUp).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

FilteredSheet.Range("J5:IX10000").ClearContents

OverallSheet.Range("A4:IY" & lastrow).AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=Array( _
        StandardSheet.Range("B10"), StandardSheet.Range("B11")), Operator:=xlFilterValues

OverallSheet.Range("A4:IY" & lastrow).AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:=Array( _
        StandardSheet.Range("C10"), StandardSheet.Range("C11")), Operator:=xlFilterValues

OverallSheet.Range("A4:IY" & lastrow).AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:=Array( _
        StandardSheet.Range("D10"), StandardSheet.Range("D11")), Operator:=xlFilterValues

OverallSheet.Range("K" & c.Row & ":IY" & c.Row).Copy FilteredSheet.Range("J" & c.Row).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I think I understand what you're trying to do. I'd recommend researching advanced filters for ranges -- they allow you to filter multiple columns in a range with multiple criteria. Also, they allow you to specify where the output should be copied.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.range.advancedfilter = Microsoft page
https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/...automate-filtering-on-and-out-specific-values = Good description, just need to read down to the advanced filter section.

Upvote 0
This is fantastic! a very useful website for the future too - thank you. Will give it a go.
Many thanks for this - much appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back