VBA Path Query

CarlStephens

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
The two code lines below are from a macro that does an excel to word mail merge, that references the word and the xlsm files saved locations. The code locates .docx file no issues, but it cannot locate the .xlsm file on my One Drive account, however, if I put on my local drive the code finds the path no problems. Any thoughts on the latter code and what the fix is?

Thank you.

Set wdocSource = wd.Documents.Open("https://carnivalcorp-my.sharepoint....s_Docs/HR_Email_One_Docs/Visa Mail Merge.docx")

strWorkbookName = "https://carnivalcorp-my.sharepoint....urn_co_uk/Documents/Joiners_Docs/Tracker.xlsm"

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
The code locates .docx file no issues, but it cannot locate the .xlsm file on my One Drive account, however, if I put on my local drive the code finds the path no problems
That's because you're not going to be able to do much with HTTP URLs for your documents with VBA. For files synced to your computer in your personal OneDrive, you also need to use a local path, something like C:\Users\%username%\OneDrive\MrExcel.xlsm.

If it's just for you, you can hard code in the username, otherwise if multiple people might have to use the file, you can substitute in the username, like this (its the same idea for SharePoint and OneDrive).

Upvote 0
That's because you're not going to be able to do much with HTTP URLs for your documents with VBA. For files synced to your computer in your personal OneDrive, you also need to use a local path, something like C:\Users\%username%\OneDrive\MrExcel.xlsm.

If it's just for you, you can hard code in the username, otherwise if multiple people might have to use the file, you can substitute in the username, like this (its the same idea for SharePoint and OneDrive).Thank

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. The path needs to be a URL as there are other users outside of my network that need to use the VBA/file, and the C:\Users path will only work for me. The VBA code works to open the word.docx but not the .xlsm file, which is weird. I have other VBAs that reference a One Drive URL when attaching files stored on my One Drive, and they work fine too. I think it is something to do with the StrWorkBookName function personally.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back