[VBA] Put Table1 and Table2 together (override similarities from Table1) ?

NessPJ

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello all,

I have a sheet with 3 tables:
B15:J4000 (source)
L15:T3511 (updates)
V15:AD7011 (new)

The first columns in all these tables contain a 'key' value.
I would like to transfer the contents of table B15:J4000 to the table V15:AD7011, but table L15:T3511 contains updates for only some of the values found in table B15:J4000. I would like to put all available contents from table L15:T3511 in table V15:AD7011 as well, but if a line with the same key already exists it should be overwritten by the line of data from table L15:T3511.

Is this possible? :)

You are very welcome. :)

I know its been a while, but i had one more question regarding this code and was hoping you or someone else could help me out.

I have testfile uploaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6llfa0kl7olw4wv/Testfile.xlsm?dl=0

I altered your code to use it on this sheet you see inside the file.

Code:
    Dim bottomG As Long
    bottomG = Columns("J").Find("*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlValues).Row
    Dim bottomP As Long
    bottomP = Columns("X").Find("*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlValues).Row
    Dim Compkey As Range
    Dim foundCompKey As Range
    Range("A2:J" & bottomG).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "AA").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    For Each Compkey In Range("X2:X" & bottomP)
        Set foundCompKey = Range("AJ2:AJ" & Cells(Rows.Count, "AJ").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row).Find(Compkey, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)
        If Not foundCompKey Is Nothing Then
            Range("O" & Compkey.Row & ":W" & Compkey.Row).Copy Cells(foundCompKey.Row, "AA")
            Range("AK" & Compkey.Row).Value = "X"
        Else
            Range("O" & Compkey.Row & ":W" & Compkey.Row).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "AA").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            Range("AK" & Compkey.Row).Value = "X"
        End If
    Next Compkey

What i would actually want is:
Table A:J is compared with Table O:X, but when a difference is found it will only copy the row from Table A:J onto position AA:AJ.
The values called "Compare key" are used to determine if the data is different or not.
At the moment the code will copy data from both tables into table AA:AJ.

I tried to understand what the code does and alter it to my own needs, but its not exactly doing what i want.
(The .Value = "X" was also added for testing purposes).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I don't quite follow what you want to do. This is what the macro currently does:

-It copies the range from A2 to the bottom of column J to the bottom of column AA
-It searches for each value in column X to see if it exists in column AJ
-If it finds that value, it copies the range O:W in that row to column AA in the same row
-If it doesn't find that value, it copies the range O:W in that row to the bottom of column AA

Could you please describe what you want to do in the same fashion as I have above?

Upvote 0
I don't quite follow what you want to do. This is what the macro currently does:

-It copies the range from A2 to the bottom of column J to the bottom of column AA
-It searches for each value in column X to see if it exists in column AJ
-If it finds that value, it copies the range O:W in that row to column AA in the same row
-If it doesn't find that value, it copies the range O:W in that row to the bottom of column AA

Could you please describe what you want to do in the same fashion as I have above?

Hi!

Well what i would like to do exactly is:
- I would like to compare every Column J entry in table A:J to see if it exists in table O:X
- If it does not exist i would like the corresponding range from table A:J to be copied into the 3rd table located on range AA:AJ

A second step i would like to add is:
- If an entry for every Column O in table O:X exists in Column A from table A:J
- Copy the corresponding range from table O:X to a new table in Cell range AL:AU

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I still don't follow.

You want to check if every value in column J exists in column X.
If it does not exist in column X, you want to copy the corresponding range from A:J to the bottom of column AA.

You want to check if every value in column O exists in column A.
If it does exist in column A, you want to copy the corresponding range from O:X to the bottom of column AL.

Is this all correct? Do you want me to use the file you have already uploaded or would you like to upload a new fresh file?

I'm also confused by these lines of code in the macro you revised:
Code:
Dim bottomG As Long
bottom[COLOR="#FF0000"]G [/COLOR]= Columns("[COLOR="#FF0000"]J[/COLOR]").Find("*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlValues).Row
Dim bottomP As Long
bottom[COLOR="#FF0000"]P [/COLOR]= Columns("[COLOR="#FF0000"]X[/COLOR]").Find("*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlValues).Row

You have bottomG as the last row in column J and bottomP as the last row in column X. Why is bottomG not the last row in column G and bottomP not the last row in column P? Please clarify.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm also confused by these lines of code in the macro you revised:
Code:
Dim bottomG As Long
bottom[COLOR=#FF0000]G [/COLOR]= Columns("[COLOR=#FF0000]J[/COLOR]").Find("*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlValues).Row
Dim bottomP As Long
bottom[COLOR=#FF0000]P [/COLOR]= Columns("[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]").Find("*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlValues).Row

You have bottomG as the last row in column J and bottomP as the last row in column X. Why is bottomG not the last row in column G and bottomP not the last row in column P? Please clarify.

That's just a result of me messing around with VBA code i don't fully understand. :p

Upvote 0

You want to check if every value in column J exists in column X.
If it does not exist in column X, you want to copy the corresponding range from A:J to the bottom of column AA.

You want to check if every value in column O exists in column A.
If it does exist in column A, you want to copy the corresponding range from O:X to the bottom of column AL.

Is this all correct? Do you want me to use the file you have already uploaded or would you like to upload a new fresh file?

Okay, maybe my explanation was just vague. Let me try again :) :

- The code should check if every value in Column J exists in Column X
If it exists in Column X, it should copy the corresponding range from A:J to the first available line of Column AA.

After that:
- The code should check if every value in Column O exists in Column A
If it does not exist in Column A, it should copy the corresponding range from O:W to the first available line of Column AM.

Is this a better explanation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
Sub Import_AT_Data()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim Compkey As Range, RngList As Object
    Set RngList = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    For Each Compkey In Range("X2", Range("X" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        If Not RngList.Exists(Compkey.Value) Then
            RngList.Add Compkey.Value, Nothing
        End If
    Next Compkey
    For Each Compkey In Range("J2", Range("J" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        If RngList.Exists(Compkey.Value) Then
            Range("A" & Compkey.Row).Resize(, 10).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "AA").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        End If
    Next Compkey
    RngList.RemoveAll
    For Each Compkey In Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
            RngList.Add Compkey.Value, Nothing
        End If
    Next Compkey
    For Each Compkey In Range("O2", Range("O" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
            Range("O" & Compkey.Row).Resize(, 9).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "AM").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        End If
    Next Compkey
    RngList.RemoveAll
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try:
[...]

Thanks so much for your help!

Just did a few tests and also decided to change the compare key (so the value becomes a bit more readible).
In both tests i noticed that the code seems to copy entries to table AA:AJ that do actually exists in both tables (A:J and O:X).

Could it be that the VBA is now copying the 'matches' instead of the 'differences' ?

The output in table AM:AU seems to work correctly (awesome)! :)

I have uploaded a new testfile here (without the sheet protection on as well).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdr39eljqi4fsdd/Testfile 4.xlsm?dl=0

Upvote 0
In Post # 16, you said
The code should check if every value in Column J exists in Column X
If it exists in Column X, it should copy the corresponding range from A:J to the first available line of Column AA

The text in red means that it not only exists in column J but also exists in column X so it does copy the "matches". If you want to copy the differences, replace this part of code:
Code:
        If RngList.Exists(Compkey.Value) Then
            Range("A" & Compkey.Row).Resize(, 10).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "AA").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        End If
    Next Compkey
with this:
Code:
        End If
    Next Compkey

Upvote 0
This seems to do the trick exactly. Thanks so much for all your help! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back