VBA Reference to Relative Cells

AcornNut

Board Regular
I have a code that, when a cell is selected it calls a module to run that code. I'm using the Select Case code to accomplish this. It's working great, but the problem is, sometimes I have to insert or delete rows on the page, which changes the cell reference of the cell I want to select. Is there a code that will keep the cell reference regardless of where the cell moves to (ie. relative reference)? In the example below, if I click B198, it runs the module for "FillOrder" just fine. But if I have to delete a row before it, then that cell moves to B197. How can I get this code to continue to reference that new location? Or is there another way to do this?

Example
VBA Code:
'Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim Resp As Long
Dim g As String

If Not Intersect(ActiveCell, Range("B9", "B459")) Is Nothing Then
    Select Case ActiveCell.Address(0, 0)
           Case "B198"
             FillOrder
    End Select
 End If

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I have a code that, when a cell is selected it calls a module to run that code. I'm using the Select Case code to accomplish this. It's working great, but the problem is, sometimes I have to insert or delete rows on the page, which changes the cell reference of the cell I want to select. Is there a code that will keep the cell reference regardless of where the cell moves to (ie. relative reference)? In the example below, if I click B198, it runs the module for "FillOrder" just fine. But if I have to delete a row before it, then that cell moves to B197. How can I get this code to continue to reference that new location? Or is there another way to do this?

Example
VBA Code:
'Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim Resp As Long
Dim g As String

Case "B198"
             FillOrder
    End Select
 End If
Is there a value in another cell on that same row that you can look for to identify the row with?

Upvote 0
Is there a value in another cell on that same row that you can look for to identify the row with?
Unfortunately, no. The data for the entire row moves with the cell in question. It's an inventory form, so the entire row moves with the specific item in that cell.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, no. The data for the entire row moves with the cell in question. It's an inventory form, so the entire row moves with the specific item in that cell.
I figured it would do that. What I am asking is if there are any values in that row that are unique to that row, even after it moves?

Upvote 0
I figured it would do that. What I am asking is if there are any values in that row that are unique to that row, even after it moves?
Yeah. Like the word Total, or something like that?

Upvote 0
Is there a code that will keep the cell reference regardless of where the cell moves to (ie. relative reference)?

Put the cell in a named range, say "myRange1" & then use the named range in the code.
VBA Code:
           Case Range("myRange1").Address(0, 0)
             FillOrder
    End Select
End If

Upvote 0
Each row does have a unique name (the item being inventoried). It may be worth mentioning that each item calls it's own unique module to fill the order since the names of the items change in each row.

Upvote 0
Put the cell in a named range, say "myRange1" & then use the named range in the code.
VBA Code:
           Case Range("myRange1").Address(0, 0)
             FillOrder
    End Select
End If
Thanks. I tried using your method, but it still only selects the absolute cell, say "B198". Right now, when I click on "B198", which is tp inventory scissors, it runs a module that autofills an order form to order scissors. But when I add another item, say cups, before the scissors, then the scissors move to "B199", but I can't click on "B199" and run the scissors module. but "B198" (which is not scissors now) still runs the scissors order form.

Upvote 0
@AcornNut , Dumb question here; Why are you adding Before and not After?
Not a dumb question. The inventory form is laid out in a way that one can start at one end of the room and go in order around the room so they're not constantly walking back and forth. As such, if a new item is added, it may be placed in a location in the middle of the room, thus in the middle of the inventory form. Make sense? Same could be said if an item is discontinued. I would delete that item from the form causing the rest of the items to "move up" a row on the spreadsheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwguy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back