VBA - Search, formulas based on other cells depending on search & msgbox

vbagreenhorn

Hello,

I'm pretty new at using VBA.
I would like a button on a UserForm to open up an InputBox that requests a value. The code then needs to look up the value in a particular sheet. Based on that found value (which is always in Column A) I will need a MsgBox to pop up that will display some of the cell contents in the same row but in other columns so for arguments sake Column D, Z and AA as well as displaying some other values in the MsgBox using formulas.

So my main questions are:

How do I search for a value in VBA
How can I display relative cell contents in the MsgBox
Is it possible (and if so how) to use the relative cell contents to do some calculations (such as countif, normal numerical functions such as division by 3 etc) and also display these in MsgBox?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
So this is a fairly involved process. Not difficult, but requires a few steps. First you'll need to design your Userform; everything starts from there. So once you've opened VBA Explorer, you'll locate the workbook you wish to have the UserForm in via the Project Window then Insert your Userform. This will insert a completely blank form that is then up to you to Customize using the Toolbox. This will bring us to your 1st question; searching for a value using VBA. From the Toolbox you can insert a button on to the form. Once you have your first button on the form you can then start attaching code to that button an label it (I labeled is Search). So for example, you may have something like this:

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim SearchString As Variant
SearchString = Application.InputBox("Find Value", "Find")
    If SearchString = False Then
        MsgBox ("You Have Pressed Cancel or Not Inserted a Value")
        Exit Sub
    End If
End Sub

This would result in the Input Box being opened when you clicked this button on the Userfrom. Then whatever you input would be saved as the variable SearchString. If no value is input then it will exit the Userform and display a message informing you that you've cancelled the input box.

On a side note. I would also insert a button on your document that actually calls the UserForm. This will be handy when you may want to test that something is working correctly as you design your Userform and implement the code to control the various buttons and outcomes. Later once you've finished the Userform and confident it works as you'd like you can attach the Userform to a Worksheet_Open Event and have the Userform called each time the document is opened or you could leave it as a button on the Sheet to use when needed; choice is yours based on the functionality you need.

Now you've prompted the InputBox, managed to type in the word, phrase or value you're looking for, now how do you find it? So VBA has a Find command that will allow you to search a given Range. This code would look something like this. I wrote it as a loop assuming you have multiple sheets and that the value you're searching for is located in Column A. This will search all sheets for the Value you place in the Input Box. If you didn't want to search all the sheets then there are ways of specifying which sheet to search only. Also the Find function has many optional parameters so it can be customized. As it sits now it will return values that have partial matches to the value you input. (I.E. If you input 14 it could potentially return 140, or HAT could return THAT). This can be adjusted though. For the sake of ease I'll leave it as is and we can cross that bridge as the time comes.

Code:
For Sheet = 1 To Sheets.Count Step 1
            Sheets(Sheet).Range("A:A").Find (SearchString)
Next Sheet

So this will located the value you're looking for. This is where I took a few liberties with you were looking for. I added a few more TextBoxes on your Userform to provide more information. So here are the next few lines of code I added to your Search Button. In addition to these lines I added 5 TextBoxes to your Userform.

Code:
FoundRow = Range("A:A").Find(SearchString).Row

UserForm1.TextBox1.Value = SearchString
UserForm1.TextBox2.Value = Range("A:A").Find(SearchString).Address
UserForm1.TextBox3.Value = Range("F" & FoundRow).Value
UserForm1.TextBox4.Value = Range("E" & FoundRow).Value
UserForm1.TextBox5.Value = Range("D" & FoundRow).Value

So The first line sets the Row Number of the found phrase you were searching for, I'll use this row number later to find the additional information from the other Columns on that row. For Now, the first TextBox I added displays the phrase I original searched for, so I can remind myself and see if I made a error. The next TextBox displays the Cell Address of the cell that was found to match the phrase I was searching for. The following 3 TextBoxes return values for the Row where we found the value we were looking for. So for example if we searched a phrase and found it in Column A on Row 47, the FoundRow = 47, and thus the remaing 3 Textboxes would return the Values found in F47, E47 and D47. This would then be seen on your Userform in each TextBox. After that I added a line of code to display those same results as a Message Box. It is as Follows:

Code:
MsgBox "Column D Value is " & Range("D" & FoundRow).Value _
    & vbNewLine & "Column E Value is " & Range("E" & FoundRow).Value _
    & vbNewLine & "Column F Value is " & Range("F" & FoundRow).Value

This will display 3 sentences on separate lines within the same Message Box. Now I realize this isn't exactly what you were looking for but it's a rough example of the tools you would need to complete your task. You can do calculations directly in your VBA code and have those values returned as needed or populated into a TextBox. The last piece of code I wrote was the exit Userform Button. Place another button on your userform with the attached code and this will close the Userform when you've finished using it, it will also clear any values from prior usage.

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()

UserForm1.TextBox1.Value = ""
UserForm1.TextBox2.Value = ""
UserForm1.TextBox3.Value = ""
UserForm1.TextBox4.Value = ""
UserForm1.TextBox5.Value = ""
UserForm1.Hide

End Sub

Hopefully this is a decent start at what you're looking to accomplish or is a starting guideline that you can use to get you to your end results. If you have any questions please feel free to ask I will try to answer them as I can and to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you very much Meggesto! I did not consider using text boxes to simply return cell contents back to the userform rather than a msgbox. This works much better for my purposes.

However I'm having problems trying to consolidate everything.

Essentially I want to have a userform that displays various bits of information based on the search string.
The vast majority will simply be a direct cell display in text box type thing, with just three values generated via a formula in the VBA.

This is currently what my code is but I'm not sure if I'm putting the right bits of code in the right places.
I want the textboxes to populate after clicking on the search button and inputting the string so this is currently within the search button code sub:

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()Dim SearchString As Variant
Dim FoundRow As Variant
SearchString = Application.InputBox("Enter Student AdNo", "Search")
    If SearchString = False Then
        MsgBox ("You have pressed Cancel or Not inserted a Value.")
        Exit Sub
    End If

Sheets("Info").Range("A:A").Find (SearchString)
FoundRow = Range("A:A").Find(SearchString).Row

Reasoner.TextBox12.Value = Range("B" & FoundRow).Value
Reasoner.TextBox2.Value = Range("F" & FoundRow).Value
Reasoner.TextBox3.Value = Range("G" & FoundRow).Value
Reasoner.TextBox4.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Sheets("Info").Range(FoundRow), "Yes")

End Sub

All of the information is in a sheet called "Info" that pulls information across from a different spreadsheet. The only other sheet is the main one with a button that will pull up the userform if it isn't already visible.
I've also got code in place that auto-minimises the excel workbook while still displaying the userform.

Currently I have an error that I don't understand, popping up: Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set and the debugger points to the line "FoundRow = Range("A:A").Find(SearchString).Row"

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back