Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2011
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am looking for a VBA to split the text into cells into rows.

Input:
test.xlsx
A
2Company, id*; ¤¤¤Communications Media, http://www.Communications.com/Media.
3Company, id*1; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.+=+enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.+=+enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u..///Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.///Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
Sheet1

Output1:
test.xlsx
A
3Company, id*1; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.+=+enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.+=+enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u..
4Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
5Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
Sheet2

output2:
test.xlsx
A
3Company, id*1; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
4Company, id*1; enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
5Company, id*1; enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u..
6Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
7Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
Sheet3

output3:
test.xlsx
AB
2Company, id*¤¤¤Communications Media, http://www.Communications.com/Media.
3Company, id*1¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
4Company, id*1enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
5Company, id*1enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u..
6Company, Name 33T¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
7Company, Name 33T¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.
Sheet4

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Splitting text is all about patterns and/or rules. What are your rules for how the text should be split to a new line?

Upvote 0
Since you are using 2013, you can apply the splitting rules in Power Query (Available for download from MS) which allows to split the the results to rows and not just columns. Post #2 will help to understand your criteria.

Upvote 0
To make sure you rules to split text:
Rule 1. "///"
Rule 2. "+=+" and append "Company ID" which before "; "

How about the above rules?

Upvote 0
try this.

VBA Code:
Sub sbSplitCompany()
    Dim R1 As Range
    Set R1 = Range("A2") 'set the first cell to split

Dim R2 As Range
    Set R2 = Range("C2") 'set the first cell to put result
    R2.Offset(-1, 0) = "CompanyID" 'set the result title
    R2.Offset(-1, 1) = "Result"

Dim i 'the i cell to split
    Dim myArray1 '1st split array
    Dim myArray2 '2nd split array
    Dim e  '1st array element
    Dim e2 '2nd array element
    Dim j 'check if the 1st element of 2nd split
    Dim myCompanyID 'Company ID

Do Until R1.Offset(i, 0) = ""
        myArray1 = Split(R1.Offset(i, 0), "///") '1st split
        For Each e In myArray1
            myCompanyID = Split(e, "; ")(0) 'company ID
            myArray2 = Split(e, "+=+") '2nd split
            For Each e2 In myArray2
                R2.Offset(Rows.Count - R2.Row, 0).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = myCompanyID 'CompanyId to R2
                If j = 0 Then 'judge if 1st e2
                    R2.Offset(Rows.Count - R2.Row, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = Split(e2, "; ")(1) '1st Result of e2 to R2
                Else
                    R2.Offset(Rows.Count - R2.Row, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = e2 'Result to R2
                End If
                j = j + 1
            Next e2
            j = 0
        Next e
        'next cell
        i = i + 1
    Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
try this.

VBA Code:
Sub sbSplitCompany()
    Dim R1 As Range
    Set R1 = Range("A2") 'set the first cell to split

Dim R2 As Range
    Set R2 = Range("C2") 'set the first cell to put result
    R2.Offset(-1, 0) = "CompanyID" 'set the result title
    R2.Offset(-1, 1) = "Result"

Dim i 'the i cell to split
    Dim myArray1 '1st split array
    Dim myArray2 '2nd split array
    Dim e  '1st array element
    Dim e2 '2nd array element
    Dim j 'check if the 1st element of 2nd split
    Dim myCompanyID 'Company ID

Do Until R1.Offset(i, 0) = ""
        myArray1 = Split(R1.Offset(i, 0), "///") '1st split
        For Each e In myArray1
            myCompanyID = Split(e, "; ")(0) 'company ID
            myArray2 = Split(e, "+=+") '2nd split
            For Each e2 In myArray2
                R2.Offset(Rows.Count - R2.Row, 0).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = myCompanyID 'CompanyId to R2
                If j = 0 Then 'judge if 1st e2
                    R2.Offset(Rows.Count - R2.Row, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = Split(e2, "; ")(1) '1st Result of e2 to R2
                Else
                    R2.Offset(Rows.Count - R2.Row, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = e2 'Result to R2
                End If
                j = j + 1
            Next e2
            j = 0
        Next e
        'next cell
        i = i + 1
    Loop
End Sub
Thank you. Partially worked. can I get the result on the next page?
I found two issues (1) if there are multiple ";" between "///" then it should consider the first one only and copy up to "///". I got the data up to the second ";".
(2) Secondly if the data is like this "company-1, what;///company2, Star second;" it is showing an error.

Upvote 0
Thank you. Partially worked. can I get the result on the next page?
I found two issues (1) if there are multiple ";" between "///" then it should consider the first one only and copy up to "///". I got the data up to the second ";".
(2) Secondly if the data is like this "company-1, what;///company2, Star second;" it is showing an error.
In my code, I just use "; " (note: there is a space behind ";") for judging "CompanyID", not splitting.
In your sample, the spilt signs seems "///" and "+=+", not "; ".
We should define clearly about the rules of splitting.

I didn't find any error while data without "///".

You can get the reult wherever you like.
Just amend the line below
VBA Code:
Set R2 = Range("C2")
for example, if you have a worksheet named "Result"
VBA Code:
Set R2 = Worksheets("Result").Range("C2")

Upvote 0
I found two issues (Otherwise I have to clean the data manually before running the VBA)
(1) if there are multiple ";" then it should consider the first one only. I got the text before the second ";" (I mean I have not got the complete text because of second or third ";").

Upvote 0
I found two issues (Otherwise I have to clean the data manually before running the VBA)
(1) if there are multiple ";" then it should consider the first one only. I got the text before the second ";" (I mean I have not got the complete text because of second or third ";").
mmm...I can't catch precisely your idea.
English is not my native language.

My code runs out the result exactly as your output3.

Maybe you can provide another sample and output with more data for all kind of situations by xl2bb.

Upvote 0
mmm...I can't catch precisely your idea.
English is not my native language.

My code runs out the result exactly as your output3.

Maybe you can provide another sample and output with more data for all kind of situations by xl2bb.

Input

test.xlsx
AB
1CompanyIDUnique ID
2Company, id*; ¤¤¤Communications Media, http://www.Communications.com/Media///Company, id*;///Company, id*;1@#$%2company
3Company, id*1; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.+=+enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.+=+enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u..///Company, Name 33T; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.///Company, Name 33T; Company, Name 33T;¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.///Company, id*;///Company, id*1@#$%3a
4id, comi;///com, id;///com, id;1@#$%4b
5id, comi;id, comi;id, comi;id, comi;id, comi;///com, id;///com, id;1@#$%5c
6id, comi;///===id, comi;///1@#22$%5c
7 ===id, comi12;///1@#22$%6c
8 ===id, comi13;1@#22$% 7c
10 ===id, comi13
Sheet1

Result

test.xlsx
ABC
1CompanyIDResultUnique ID
2Company, id*¤¤¤Communications Media, http://www.Communications.com/Media1@#$%2company
3Company, id*1@#$%2company
4Company, id*1@#$%2company
5Company, id*1¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.1@#$%3a
6Company, id*1enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.1@#$%3a
7Company, id*1enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u..1@#$%3a
8Company, Name 33T¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.1@#$%3a
9Company, Name 33TCompany, Name 33T;¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.; ¤¤¤enter fr gic an, ght cer tit, reo th and ce ersit, and, p0 99, 9A. c e:9k@o.u.1@#$%3a
10Company, id*1@#$%3a
11Company, id*1@#$%3a
12id, comi1@#$%4b
13com, id1@#$%4b
14com, id1@#$%4b
15id, comiid, comi;id, comi;id, comi;id, comi;1@#$%5c
16com, id1@#$%5c
17com, id1@#$%5c
18id, comi1@#22$%5c
19 ===id, comi1@#22$%5c
20 ===id, comi121@#22$%6c
21 ===id, comi131@#22$% 7c
22 ===id, comi13
Result1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StorageQueen24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back