VBA SUM multiple cells across worksheets

BBCTodd

Greetings all,

I don't know why, but my brain isn't working on this one, and I've been stuck for a few days.

I'm trying to SUM two cells from two worksheets in the same workbook and replace one of the cells with the result. (I.e. to form a running total)

Worksheet1 is an "input form" where the operators (they have absolutely zero knowledge of computers) will input their daily data of "jobs"

I.e.
Worksheet1 - Cell C1 - Lines Running: 5
Worksheet1 - Cell C2 - Fans Used: 50
Worksheet1 - Cell C3 - Boxes Opened: 10
etc.

They then hit a "Input and Save Data" button to automatically enter the data.

Worksheet2 is a "summary form" where it will keep a running total for a month of the number of times each "jobs" is done.

I.e.
Worksheet2 - Cell C1: Lines Running = SUM(Worksheet1!C1,Worksheet2!C1)
Worksheet2 - Cell C2: Fans Used = SUM(Worksheet1!C2,Worksheet2!C2)
Worksheet2 - Cell C3: Boxes opened = SUM(Worksheet1!C3,Worksheet2!C3)

this vba code would calculate the total and put the resulting number in Worksheet2!C3 whenever they use the button I put on the page to "Enter Data".

Thanks everyone for the help!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Welcome to MrExcel.

Not an answer to your question, but I would avoid that approach, as it provides no audit trail. What if the user clicks the button more than once? You should have a list of all transactions with a date or reference number.

Upvote 0
why you using SUM? just add values
Code:
sheets("Worksheet1").range("C1")+sheets("Worksheet2").range("C2")

Upvote 0
Welcome to MrExcel.

Not an answer to your question, but I would avoid that approach, as it provides no audit trail. What if the user clicks the button more than once? You should have a list of all transactions with a date or reference number.

Agree with that.
@BBCTodd you can add the "now()" value to the next column. this will help you to check totals for the month if will be needed

Upvote 0
I have it set in the macro that when they click the input button, it goes back and clears all cells on the input form. I have to make this as "idiot proof" as possible. So all the techs have to do is input their numbers, hit the button, and it'll be ready for the next shift.

Unfortunately the techs have a tendency to cut&paste, and alter the worksheets other ways. I can't lock the formulas and everything since it's for a company and the techs have access to everything. However, they are fairly computer illiterate, so to prevent tampering I have to hide most all formulas within VBA code. (Plus save a backup copy for when they mess it up beyond repair)

As for the "now()" command, the form will be summarized and cleared monthly, so they don't need any reference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And awesome Andrzej (Andrew) Bejmart, adding the values works perfectly. I totally got fixated on SUM and forgot about the values. Thank you so much.

Thank you
Andrzej (Andrew) Bejmart and Andrew Poulsom, for your quick and excellent responses.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back