VBA time format greater than 24 hours

litrelord

Hi,

I’ve got a form with some times on it and a label that shows a calculated time difference between those times as hh:mm. If the difference is greater than 24 hours it ignores the days and just tells me the hour difference e.g. 01:30 for 1 day and 1 and a half hours. If I try and use the [hh]:mm format it just shows as :12 permanently. Has anyone seem this before or know how I can get round it?

Thanks

Nick

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
What kind of data are you putting in for the times, does it include a date? Are they in textboxes?

Upvote 0
litrelord said:
Hi,

I’ve got a form with some times on it and a label that shows a calculated time difference between those times as hh:mm. If the difference is greater than 24 hours it ignores the days and just tells me the hour difference e.g. 01:30 for 1 day and 1 and a half hours. If I try and use the [hh]:mm format it just shows as :12 permanently. Has anyone seem this before or know how I can get round it?

Thanks

Nick

Nick,

Not enough time for me to do more then post this code where I use 4 different date pickers, two for date, two for times, and then show the value between the two as hours. As you see it could be optimized, especially in the 'if' statements, but it does work. Part of this sets a minimum time of about 10 minutes. That is if you set the first date and time to a value greater then the second set, it will set the second set to the first set plus 10 minutes. This also uses the format of the date picker themselves. In any case it may give you some ideas on handling times past midnight.

Code:
Application.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled

On Error GoTo none

DTPicker1.MinDate = Now()
DTPicker2.MinDate = DTPicker1.Value

DaysDiff = DateDiff("d", DTPicker1.Value, DTPicker2.Value)

HoursDiff = DTPicker4.Hour - DTPicker3.Hour

MinutesDiff = DTPicker4.Minute - DTPicker3.Minute
MinutesDiff = MinutesDiff / 60
MinutesDiffNum = MinutesDiff
MinutesDiff = Format(MinutesDiff, "##0.##")

JobLengthHours = DaysDiff * 24 + HoursDiff + MinutesDiff

If DaysDiff * 24 + HoursDiff + MinutesDiff <= 0.17 Then
x = DTPicker3.Minute + 10
y = DTPicker3.Hour
If x > 59 Then
x = x - 60

y = DTPicker3.Hour + 1
End If
If y > 23 Then
y = y - 24

DTPicker2.Value = DTPicker1.Value + 1

End If
DTPicker4.Minute = x
DTPicker4.Hour = y
End If

DaysDiff = DateDiff("d", DTPicker1.Value, DTPicker2.Value)
HoursDiff = DTPicker4.Hour - DTPicker3.Hour

MinutesDiff = DTPicker4.Minute - DTPicker3.Minute
MinutesDiff = MinutesDiff / 60
MinutesDiff = Format(MinutesDiff, "##0.##")

JobLengthHours = DaysDiff * 24 + HoursDiff + MinutesDiff

If HoursDiff = 1 And MinutesDiffNum > 0 Or HoursDiff >= 2 Or HoursDiff <= 0 Then Label62.Caption = JobLengthHours & " Hours"

If HoursDiff = 1 And MinutesDiffNum = 0 Or HoursDiff = -1 And MinutesDiffNum = 0 Then Label62.Caption = JobLengthHours & " Hour"

none:

Perry

Upvote 0
I assume you are using the Format function? That's a VB(A) function that doesn't understand 24+ hour formatting. Instead use XL's Text function that is exported to VBA through the Worksheetfunction container as in
Code:
    Dim aTime As Date
    aTime = Now() - 1 - TimeSerial(0, 30, 0)
    MsgBox Application.WorksheetFunction.Text(Range("f4").Value, "[h]:mm")
litrelord said:
Hi,

Thanks

Nick

Upvote 0
Tusharm, you hit the nail on the head there, it's now working perfectly.

Thank you to everyone who responded. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back