VBA UDF Named Range

djt76010

Board Regular
I have created a .xlam file with a tab named 'Tables' in the spreadsheet that contains named ranges that are passed into the various UDFs that I have created. If the value passed into the function through 'Table' or 'Table2' does not point to a valid named range the function returns the #VALUE! error and gets hung up on the line below assigning a range to 'RANGE_1' or 'RANGE_2'. In this case I would like the function to indicate which named range it has a problem with. How do I test to make sure the named ranges are valid?

Code:
Function test_function(Number, Optional Table As String = "missing", _
                               Optional Table2 As String = "missing")
    If Table <> "missing" Then
        RANGE_1 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Tables").Range(Table).Value
    End If

If Table2 <> "missing" Then
        RANGE_2 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Tables").Range(Table2).Value
    End If
End Function

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi

This is a simple test to see which name causes the error.

Code:
Function TestN(s1 As String, s2 As String)
Dim v1 As Variant, v2 As Variant

On Error Resume Next

v1 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range(s1).Value
If Err > 0 Then
    TestN = "Error in first Name"
    Exit Function
End If

v2 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range(s2).Value
If Err > 0 Then
    TestN = "Error in second Name"
    Exit Function
End If

On Error GoTo 0
TestN = "No errors in name"
End Function

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. Is there a way to exclude named ranges like "A1" that by default point to cells in Excel. All of the named ranges that I would like to reference cover multiple cells.

Upvote 0
Why not just pass the ranges by their names -- then Excel will tell you if they are not recognized (you'll get a #NAME? error).

Also, if you're using a UDF and pass range names as strings, Excel will see no dependency, and so will not recalculate automatically when they change.

Upvote 0
My problem is that I am making the UDF for other people in my office to use. I know what the #NAME error means and how to fix it, but I would like to provide other users an error message that will point them to the source of the problem.

Upvote 0
Why not just pass the ranges by their names -- then Excel will tell you if they are not recognized (you'll get a #NAME? error).

Also, if you're using a UDF and pass range names as strings, Excel will see no dependency, and so will not recalculate automatically when they change.

Hi shg

Thank you for stepping in. I'm always insisting that the udf should include in its parameters all the info necessary to determine the dependencies and here I am happily passing named ranges as strings. This was really a sad moment. :(

Upvote 0
Here is my problem. There are multiple named ranges contained in the .xlam file and these named ranges each contain 100 numbers. When the user passes a string into the function, if the text contained in that string matches one of the named ranges contained in that file, there are a series of calculations that are performed that depend upon numbers pulled from that particular named range.

Upvote 0
This was really a sad moment. :( <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

:LOL:

You can get the name of the range that's passed in the procedure:

Code:
Sub x()
    Range("A1:A3").Name = "bob"
    Yessirree Range("bob")
End Sub

Function Yessirree(r As Range)
    MsgBox r.Name.Name
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my .xlam file there is a Tab named "Tables" that contains the named ranges with labels that are passed into my UDF. Let's say "Bob" refers to A1:A3 and "Doug" refers to B1:B3. It is much easier to let people enter "Doug" as a function argument and have that point to B1:B3 than to have them learn that entering B1:B3 will point to the numbers pertaining to Doug saved in cells B1, B2 and B3, especially since in my actual UDF there are 20+ named ranges with 100+ cells each.

Is there a way to test the size of a named range? In the example above I would want any string other than "Bob" or "Doug" to return an error message telling the user that they have entered an invalid name, but "A1" or any default cell name is currently not tripping up the UDF. I was thinking I could test to make sure the named range includes more than one cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back