VBS code to VBA

rjtaylor

I have the following code working in VBS. I cannot figure out how to use it in VBA. Any ideas would be great. I am trying to figure out which PDFs in a folder are in Portfolio format vrs standard format
here is the VBS that works:

The Code says VBA but it actually is VBS

VBA Code:
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.CurrentDirectory = "C:\Temp"

Function CmdOut(p):Dim w,e,r,o:Set w=objShell :Set e=w.Exec("Cmd.exe"):e.StdIn.WriteLine p&" 2>&1":e.StdIn.Close:While(InStr(e.StdOut.ReadLine,">"&p)=0)::Wend:Do:o=e.StdOut.ReadLine:If(e.StdOut.AtEndOfStream)Then:Exit Do:Else:r=r&o&vbLf:End If:Loop:CmdOut=r:End Function

str = "for /f " & """" & "delims=" & """" & " %f in ('dir /b *.pdf') do @(echo/ && find " & """" & "/Collection" & """" & " " & """" & "%f" & """" & " >nul && echo PORTFOLIO= " & """" & "%f" & """" & " || echo NOT Portfolio or Error " & """" & "%f" & """" & ")"

Dim PortfolioList
PortfolioList = CmdOut(str)
WScript.Echo PortfolioList

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
There is a problem with this code in that there is an embedded function definition but no containing procedure. Is this the complete set of code? I am not familiar with VBS code structure but in general it looks to me like something's missing.

I do not know if VBA can access StdIn and StdOut for streams associated with cmd.exe.

The variable WScript is going to give you trouble. This is a VBS object that does not have a corresponding entity in VBA. Please describe what you want this line of code to do.
VBA Code:

However, here is the converted code. I have no idea if it will do what you want it to do. What is "Portfolio format" for a PDF file?
VBA Code:
Public Sub VBSRewrite()

Dim PortfolioList As String
   Dim CmdString As String

CmdString = "for /f " & """" & "delims=" & """" & " %f in ('dir /b *.pdf') do @(echo/ && find " & """" & "/Collection" & """" & " " & """" & "%f" & """" & " >nul && echo PORTFOLIO= " & """" & "%f" & """" & " || echo NOT Portfolio or Error " & """" & "%f" & """" & ")"

PortfolioList = CmdOut(CmdString)
   ' WScript.Echo PortfolioList ' will not work in VBA. where do you want this output to go?

End Sub

Function CmdOut(p As String) As String

Dim w As Object
   Dim e As Object
   Dim r As String
   Dim o As String
   Dim objShell As Object

Set w = objShell
   Set e = w.Exec("Cmd.exe")

e.StdIn.WriteLine p & " 2>&1"
   e.StdIn.Close

While (InStr(e.StdOut.ReadLine, ">" & p) = 0)
   Wend

Do
      o = e.StdOut.ReadLine
      If (e.StdOut.AtEndOfStream) Then
         Exit Do
      Else
         r = r & o & vbLf
      End If
   Loop

CmdOut = r

End Function

Upvote 0
Solution
There is a problem with this code in that there is an embedded function definition but no containing procedure. Is this the complete set of code? I am not familiar with VBS code structure but in general it looks to me like something's missing.

I do not know if VBA can access StdIn and StdOut for streams associated with cmd.exe.

The variable WScript is going to give you trouble. This is a VBS object that does not have a corresponding entity in VBA. Please describe what you want this line of code to do.
VBA Code:

However, here is the converted code. I have no idea if it will do what you want it to do. What is "Portfolio format" for a PDF file?
VBA Code:
Public Sub VBSRewrite()

Dim PortfolioList As String
   Dim CmdString As String

CmdString = "for /f " & """" & "delims=" & """" & " %f in ('dir /b *.pdf') do @(echo/ && find " & """" & "/Collection" & """" & " " & """" & "%f" & """" & " >nul && echo PORTFOLIO= " & """" & "%f" & """" & " || echo NOT Portfolio or Error " & """" & "%f" & """" & ")"

PortfolioList = CmdOut(CmdString)
   ' WScript.Echo PortfolioList ' will not work in VBA. where do you want this output to go?

End Sub

Function CmdOut(p As String) As String

Dim w As Object
   Dim e As Object
   Dim r As String
   Dim o As String
   Dim objShell As Object

Set w = objShell
   Set e = w.Exec("Cmd.exe")

e.StdIn.WriteLine p & " 2>&1"
   e.StdIn.Close

While (InStr(e.StdOut.ReadLine, ">" & p) = 0)
   Wend

Do
      o = e.StdOut.ReadLine
      If (e.StdOut.AtEndOfStream) Then
         Exit Do
      Else
         r = r & o & vbLf
      End If
   Loop

CmdOut = r

End Function
Thanks this worked GREAT!!!.
To answer your questions.
First the VBS code does work. You save the code in a text file, then rename the extension as (.vbs)
Second a Portfolio is when you combine different PDF files into one PDF, but each remains its own file (a Collection). The other option is combining PDFs into one continuous PDF file (not a Collection).

Upvote 0
I'm pretty happy it worked, especially since I didn't test it.

a Portfolio is when
That's interesting, was not familiar with that. I am baffled as to how your code figures that out. :)

I have a suspicion that if this being done in VBA there might be a simpler way to do it rather than just porting the VBS over. But it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back