VLOOKUP & IF maybe???

mikvanoke

I have one worksheet that is constantly updated. I am creating new worksheets working off of the data input into the original (let's call the original WIP). The second worksheet (let's call this BILLING) is the one I need to build. Each person is to have their own sheets in BILLING and I want the information to be input automatically when WIP is updated. E.g. I am creating a BILLING sheet for DSH (the invididual's ID). I want that row that has DSH as the ID in column E to be replicated in BILLING for DSH. I don't need the entire row, just columns A,B & F replicated. If column E is someone else, I want it replicated in the appropriate sheet but to have nothing entered in DSH. Any ideas? Do I make any sense or am I babbling in Greek??? :confused:

Okay. I need lunch anyway... I@ve only just started learning the more indepth formulas like VLOOKUP. I'm just learning through internet!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
1. The picture you pasted – is that going to be in my BILLING or in WIP?
2. Why put these two new columns laying out the initials in a new sheet but starting in columns E & F?
3. The formula: =IF(F2=VLOOKUP(E2,E:F,2,FALSE)=TRUE,VLOOKUP(E2,E:F,2,FALSE),"Error")
- Just so I fully understand what I’m asking Excel to do, could you please walk me through each reference?

I feel like an illiterate moron!!! For some reason it's like a different language to me!

Upvote 0
I think there may be an easier way to do this using MS Query (built into Excel) - however what you'll end up with is one sheet in the billing document, a data validation cell (from which you would select the person), doing so will provide you with a more effecient way of viewing billing for each person

However, explaining MS Query to someone who is learning could be quite difficult - but here goes

Open your excel document (Billing)

From the menu

Data > Get External Data > New Database Query > Excel Files & select the location of your excel file (WIP)

Double click the excel file once found, ‘Add Tables’ will appear & you need to select the sheet which has all the data on & add

There is a little hash (*) in a box under the toolbar – double click this

Doing so will select all headings on your excel sheet, simply remove the ones you don’t want showing as you would when deleting columns in excel

The 7th button from the left – click this (this is the parameter button, you will use to select the initials)

You will now have an extra set of boxes between your sheet table & your data table, from the sheet table ( the one you inserted by clicking the (*) )drag and drop the column heading that you are using for initials, drag this into criteria field

Type in Value

like []

Then exit (4th button from the left on the toolbar)

Enter Parameter box will appear, click cancel

Select the destination where you want the data to appear (if you want this information in the billing workbook, you will need to do all of the above in the billing.xls file)

Click the parameters & like this to the cell where you will have a data validation (the must be in your billing document – Are you familiar with naming ranges for data validation?)

To have the list for your validation, you will need to list on a separate shee in billing.xls all of the initials, then select the list (highlight all cells), from excel menu

Insert > Name > Define

Names in workbook – give your range a name

Then refers to, select the range – it might be on sheet2 of billing (=sheet2!$A$1: $A$10) (EXAMPLE ONLY)

Then for your drop down list, place this in A1 of your results sheet

Data > Validation > (Allow) > List > =initials (thype =& whatever you named the range)

The query parameter you will set, will work from this list

Using ms query (I feel) will better suit your needs, however it will take away the need to have a sheet for each person, by compacting this results data & you can filter for any person as required

Alternatively, you could email me (dont think my office will mind) and i will do this for you

Upvote 0
I got up to 'there is a *' and had to stop. I worked past 'get data'. Mine said import data, so I tried that. then the anomolies were too much! I'm on Excel 2003, is that different from yours?

Upvote 0
No, I'm on Excel 2000

Although I think the menu wording is slightly different

I will send you a private message

Upvote 0
Apologies for not being able to assist further with this via phone

I cannot understand why the query table isn't pointing to your WIP file even after selecting the file on your network, i dont know why its defaulting to your newly created file?

I guess perseverance is the key?

Maybe RichardSchollar be be able to help?

Richard - Over to you?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back